mtbr member

removed V-brake studs, where can I get round caps to plug the holes?

Changing my 2007 Rockhopper base model with V-brakes to disc brakes. I removed the studs that the V-brakes smount onto and would like to plug those holes for a somewhat cleaner look. Do they make such caps? Where can I get a pair?

Btw, are the studs supposed to be loctite or something? I had the most difficult time getting one side off.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

mtbr member
    Those are cheap but prefer something that's a bit more aesthetic, something more flat. :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Then get set screws from your hardware store. Bring the studs in to match it. It's probably 10x1 but could be 8mm. They'll be heavier. You could also try finding a nylon bolt and cutting the head off and cutting a slot for a flathead screwdriver.

Can Tree Member
    The plastic problem solvers look fine when they are on the bike. Visually, it's the boss that you'll be looking at, a simple black plastic screw head on it isn't going to change the basic look one bit IMHO.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just filled mine with silicone sealant. Did the same thing with the water bottle bosses.

mtbr member
    I saw a brake post "fill in" bolt that doubled as a guide for your new hydraulic brake hose. Sweet! Can't remember where I saw it.

mtbr member
    I just left mine open, I can't think of a good reason to worry about plugging them up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hope Hose Guides - 6 colors to choose from.

http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_10G.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkelley383
    Hope Hose Guides - 6 colors to choose from.

http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_10G.html
    Yep that's them. 10 mm for rear and 8 mm for fork. I don't see where you can order them directly from Hope, but Cambria has them:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SS+HOSE+GUIDES

mtbr member
    Hey be careful when taking the bolts out. I did the same thing on a marzucci z-1 shock. I took the bolts out and shortly found out that they held the shock together. While riding it came apart. I was lucky enough not to get hurt or loose any parts. I couldnt just plug the holes it needed a full bolt. Im not sure if all shocks are held together in the same way....but just something to think about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geinsteder
    Hey be careful when taking the bolts out. I did the same thing on a marzucci z-1 shock. I took the bolts out and shortly found out that they held the shock together. While riding it came apart. I was lucky enough not to get hurt or loose any parts. I couldnt just plug the holes it needed a full bolt. Im not sure if all shocks are held together in the same way....but just something to think about.
    Yep, same here on my Atom Race but I noticed it before riding and promptly put the bosses back in. Right now I just jammed some bearing grease in there to keep out the water and dirt. Was thinking of putting some melted wax in there, or may get off my lazy arse and get some replacement bolts....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008