mtbr member

New question here. Removal of Wheel = Realignment of Calipers

I知 currently running Avid Juicy Sevens on a Turner 5 Spot. Every time I remove and reinstall my rear wheel I have to realign the rear calipers. Is this typical?

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I知 currently running Avid Juicy Sevens on a Turner 5 Spot. Every time I remove and reinstall my rear wheel I have to realign the rear calipers. Is this typical?
    This happens if you tighten your QR differently to what you had it before. The more you tighten your skewer, the more the rotor gets pulled to one side as the hub compresses more. A useful aid is once you've set up your caliper and wheel, put a mark on the QR knobs with a felt tip pen, and put a corresponding mark on the dropouts which line up with the marks on the QR knobs. This way, when you take off your wheel and put it back, you can put the QR back at exactly the same tension as before, and the rotor will maintain its distance from the brake pads.

On the other hand, take care when you pull the wheel out of the dropouts, so that you don't push the brake pads in with the rotor.

mtbr member
    That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip.

Bodhisattva

Also...

Marking the hub & caliper as the above poster mentioned is a good tip & something I started doing a few years ago.

Also get one of these and yell "I've got quick nuts."

http://1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

Very handy & quite cheap. It ensures that your quick release has consistent tension each time.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Also get one of these and yell "I've got quick nuts."

http://1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

Very handy & quite cheap. It ensures that your quick release has consistent tension each time.
    What the...?? That sucker sticks out! Looks like a good idea, but from the looks of it, you still have to mark the lever side of the QR to obtain consistent positioning. Very cheap though, and easier than aligning both sides of the QR. Have you used these, and do they snag on things when you ride?

Bodhisattva

Yes and No...

Been using one since June. Works great. Set the preload on the quicknut and forget about it.
    No. It's never gotten snagged. It only juts out about 1/8" more than my XTR nut and it still doesn't protrude past the outer edge of the lowers of my Fox fork.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I wonder if it would void the warranty to file off the lawyer tabs on the fork?

If not for them I'd never need to adjust the tension on my qr.

simply me
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    If you reinstall the rear wheel and find the rotor misaligned in the caliper try undoing the QR, turn the axle slightly then reclamp the QR. I have found on a couple of hubs the face of the axle end to be eneven this cause variations in rotor alignment.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 2nd that...

I got a set, and before I ordered them I was worried about the protusion but it's a non-issue. I take my front wheel off to put into a Delta clamp for transportation and the quick nut works like a charm.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonkiwi
    If you reinstall the rear wheel and find the rotor misaligned in the caliper try undoing the QR, turn the axle slightly then reclamp the QR. I have found on a couple of hubs the face of the axle end to be eneven this cause variations in rotor alignment.
    I have this same problem on my XT disc hubs. I think they are 03 models. I have them mounted to a 03 Fox float and run avid mechanicals. Every time I take off the wheel and put it back in I have to fiddle with rotating the hub axle in the dropouts to get it to run true and not rub on the pads. On my setup this seems to have a much larger inpact than the qr lever tension. I tried some CK hubs with the same caliper and rotor and did not have this problem any more.

11 is one louder than 10

get the 1up quick nut

It looks bad on the web site because it's on an old thin road fork. Doesn't look bad at all on mtb's. It will save you a ton of hassle.

mtbr member
    Having the same trouble with my Avid Juicy's. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to keep them from rubbing this way until I re adjust. Extremely frustrating.

Meh.
    Read above. It tells you exactly the problem. This is not specific to the Juicys, it happens to every brake.

mtbr member
    well I FIXED my problem it turned out that metal dust cap on my Specialized stout hub was damaged not allowing me wheel in straight.