mtbr member

Regarding lever length & bar space w/ Hope tech vs others

Hey folks... I've searched the threads and haven't found discussion of this issue, so I thought I'd float this subject out there for some feedback.

I recently upgraded from Juicy 7 to Hope Tech X2 brakes on my Mojo, and I LOVE the Hopes for all the reasons usually listed: Lever shape & feel, solid performance, modulation and adjustability...

However, the problem I've encountered is one of lever placement. The size of the Hope lever assembly is such that I can't mount the levers far enough inboard to get the proper lever placement on my preferred hbar setups (Syntace Vector Downhill 7075 riser bar w/ 16 deg bend cut down to 660mm, or Ragley Carnegie Bar at about 670mm). The Hope lever blade itself is pretty short, but if I measure the "width" of the whole assembly, from the inboard side of the clamp to the end of the lever, it's about 5" or 120mm + -

Of course, I understand that I could leave the bars wider, but I'd rather not because:
    a) I'd have to buy more handlebars
    b) I wouldn't clear some tight spots on my local trails
    c) My setup is dialed for me the way it is and I don't want to change it... so there!....

And no, I won't switch to another bar, unless it's at least 16 deg bend... carpel tunnel demands it.

So, my question (finally!) is:
    Can anybody give me some total width measurements (from inside edge of clamp, along the bar to the point that lines up with the end of the lever) on some of the other top brake systems out there, just in case I decide to go away from the Hope levers...
    Formula R1 or Rx?
    Elixir? Elixir Mag & XX?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I assume you're set up for 1 finger braking, is that correct? I had this same question, except I'm in the process of getting new brakes and want to make sure I don't run out of room after spending $400+ for the brakes...

Anyone else have this problem? Is the 120mm "length" of the Tech lever/clamp assembly accurate?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas...

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just measured mine.

Yeah, it's roughly 120mm, maybe a few mm more even.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101
    Just measured mine.

Yeah, it's roughly 120mm, maybe a few mm more even.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Jeremy