Fragile - must be Italian

Recommended XC weight weenie hydros??

I posted this in the AZ board because I wanted to get some local (AZ desert) responses, but I decided I should also post this to the general audience to see what opinions you all have...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok - I've had it with the Magura Martas on my NRS. Magura was kind enough to fix them under warranty so they actually work now (first time in over 1 year!), but after getting the bike back I just can't stand them anymore...especially when compared to the Avid Juicy's on my MotoLite.

I've had it with the brake drag (lots). And I've had it with the lack of adjustments & general feel on the levers. When I bought the Maguras they were the best I could find. This was 2003. Braking systems have come a long way since then and I know there are better choices out there.

I really like everything about the Avid Juicy 7's on my MotoLite with 1 big exception -- weight. The Marta's are about 150-200g lighter for the set than the Avids, which is significant on a weight-weenie plastic bike (Martas are 700g for the set including all h/w...the Avids are around 850g).

So...after doing a little research I've found these other brake systems in the same weight category as the Martas:

2008 Avid Juicy Ultimates (w/160mm f/r)

2007/2008 Formula Oro Puros (w/160mm f/r)

2008 Hope Mono Minis (w/160mm f/r)

All seem to get generally good reviews, especially the Formulas. Do any of you have any experience with these? I hardly ever ride my bike when it is wet outside...so what matters most to me is: overall durability (don't want another high maintenance braking system), noise in our dry climate, and fade resistance in the heat. I don't need the ultimate stoppers in terms of power (the NRS generally stays away from the tech)...but the brakes have to be good enough to work in Flagstaff and some other long XC descents we have out West.

Note - I chose the '08 Hopes and Avids over the '07 line because they claim to have made some improvements to the brakes for the '08 model year, as well as dropped the overal weight somewhat.

FWIW -- as much as I hate the feel and maintenance of the Martas...I do have to give them credit for being pretty damn strong, quiet, and fade resistant.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I'm contiplating the same systems. I know the Formulas are known as the best performers, but I'm leaning towards the Hope Mono Mini Pros based on also having exellent performance and modulation, and the princess in me likes the Hope's bling factor and weight.

With these choices, you might as well ask whether we like chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla. All good, just some like one more than the other. Chocolate Rawks!!!

mtbr member
    Formula Oro Puros are my choice
    -Great power
    -Great modulation
    -Good weight
    -Very consistent lever feel
    -Reliable

They are costly but you get what you pay for.

I`ve used the ultimates and minis both and the Ultimates would be my second choice.

The Rundown. Best to Worst

Power- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Modulation- Hope, Formula, Avid
    Weight- Formula, Hope, Avid
    Consistent lever feel- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Reliability- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    you could try 140 rear rotors to save even more weight

Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    you could try 140 rear rotors to save even more weight
    I live in AZ and do a fair amount of long descents. The 160's on both of my bikes get plenty hot. I think 140 rotors are out of the question.

Thx...Doug

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

FWIW -- as much as I hate the feel and maintenance of the Martas...I do have to give them credit for being pretty damn strong, quiet, and fade resistant.

Thx...Doug
    Magura Martas
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish
    The Rundown. Best to Worst

Power- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Modulation- Hope, Formula, Avid
    Weight- Formula, Hope, Avid
    Consistent lever feel- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Reliability- Formula, Avid, Hope
    Obviously this is a matter of personal opinion. I haven't used any Avid brakes, but I have used Magura Martas, Hope Mono Minis and I am currently setting up the Formula K24s.

Like you, I am not a fan of the Martas. I've been using the Mono Minis for several years on two bikes and I like these brakes a lot. For XC riding, they have plenty of stopping power and the feel at the brake lever is great. Plus the machining is top notch, and the brake levers are plenty strong - mine have withstood numerous crashes.

I'm going to the K24s on my FS bike for more stopping power (also bumping up to 7" rotors), based on trying a friend's brakes a few times. I'm finding the initial setup to require a little more work than the Mono Minis, but I am optimistic that I will be very happy with these brakes.

I'd say that based on a combination of performance and braking power the Formula Puros are probably the winner. The Mono Mini brakes should be significantly cheaper though (unless you are looking at the Pro version) so if there is a performance/cost factor this should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Magura Martas
    Ok - did you not read my opening rant about how much I hate my Martas??

Seriously, I'm done with Magura. It's a great product...while it works. Seems like everybody I know who owns Martas has the same story as me -- works perfect for 1-2 years and then starts to get "mysterious" leaks that can never be traced down. It doesn't help matters when few bike shops have any idea how to properly work on them.

So to my point, of the 3 brands I listed -- Hope, Avid, Formula -- I'm a little nervous about the Hopes and Formulas falling into the same category as Magura for being a little "bike shop rare" in obtaining parts and service (I'm not too concerned about direct customer service as I usually have bike shops work on my brake systems). Magura Martas further compounded the issue in that they required special brake fluid + bleed kits. I'm not sure if the Hopes and Formulas require anything "special" or "intimate knowledge" to get proper service.

Seems like anybody can successfully work on Avid and Hayes.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    If you know a bike shop that can work on Avids they will most likely be able to work on Formulas, Both use the same fittings for bleeding and the bleeding steeps are very similar. As far as service parts go, formula, Hope and Magura will more or less fall in to the same category, (Harder to find) where the avids uses all the same pad designs (BB7, Juicys) (easy to find). Also Avid brakes come stock on many bikes so shops who have these bikes are more likely carry Avid pads.

Just a note, If your shop is a BTI or QBP parts distributer which they most likely are, replacement parts can be easily ordered for all three of these brakes. Which is great as long as you don`t wait till the last minute to get the part replaced.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    So to my point, of the 3 brands I listed -- Hope, Avid, Formula -- I'm a little nervous about the Hopes and Formulas falling into the same category as Magura for being a little "bike shop rare" in obtaining parts and service (I'm not too concerned about direct customer service as I usually have bike shops work on my brake systems). Magura Martas further compounded the issue in that they required special brake fluid + bleed kits. I'm not sure if the Hopes and Formulas require anything "special" or "intimate knowledge" to get proper service.

Seems like anybody can successfully work on Avid and Hayes.

Thx...Doug
    For routine bleeding of the Hope brakes, all you need is a piece of tubing to attach to the bleed nipple at the caliper. Otherwise, a small hex wrench opens the reservoir at the top and you can pour the DOT fluid in directly. I did have one sticky piston problem a few years ago (on a set of brakes I bought used - doh....) and I had to buy the bore cap removal tool to fix that one. It was readily available on e-bay so that wasn't a big deal. Can't speak for the Formulas, but I wouldn't call myself a great mechanic by any means and I find my Hopes to be very easy to work on.

Oh, and as an added bonus, Greg from Formula and SteveUK (resident Hope expert) both post very regularly in these forums so good information is easy to come by.