mtbr member

Recommendations on what brakes and mounts to run? Fr/dh style bike

Recently Have decided to get into more of an FR/DH style bike, so I picked up a Transition PBR bottle rocket from a guy over on pink bike. long story short I got burned on the deal which im taking up with paypal but none the less the juicy 3's I was promised did not come with the bike, I got nothing!

so I want to ride this thing and I need to get brakes. wanted to try and keep the cost a little low seeing as how I just spent a couple grand on a bike that I thought I'd pretty much be able to ride.

My cousin is running A single rear saint 4 piston brake on an 8" rotor and suggested it to me, but I like the idea of having a front for back up or extra assistance. on my DJ bike im running a hayes stroker rear and like it a lot. some brakes ive been looking into are

F/R stroker with a 6" front 8" rear setup or 8" across

Hayes Ace stroker rear only 8" rotor

found a new set of elixir 3's with 6" rotors f/r

found some stroker carbons which are a little out of my price range with 7" front 6" rear

looking for some suggestions and help.wasnt sure if their were guidelines for "x" size rotor is what most people run etc. I also need help on the front adapter im running a set of 08 fox floats which have the 74mm post but it is also a 20mmQR and price point has adapters for both so which do i get?

thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by norcaldj; 04-29-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Orange Blk Mrkt mob- rigid fork
    Flat Green met Kona-x-fusion velour 100mm
    PBR Transition BR- fox float 160mm/fox dhx air

...for I am a raindog too
    Before you blast the seller too much, pause and consider that he might've done you a favor by omitting the juicy 3's.... having no brakes is favorable to being doomed to juicy 3's.

My only real advice would be to forget about a rear only on a FR/ DH bike. You might find yourself wanting some controlled stops.
    Also, contact the seller and tell him that you want a few hundred for the brakes that were bought but not delivered. (He will tell you that you are out of your mind for thinking that a set of used J3's are worth a few hundred, but you can negotiate from there...)
    If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company

mtbr member
    yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing that this may be a blessing is disguise. I have already contacted the seller and hes playing the pretend "im not here" thing. fed me some B.S. right after he sent the bike how he would be out of the country for work and have no access to a computer, yet he has managed to read all my pm's I've sent since the bike arrived? im going to let paypal handle this but none the less im excited about riding the bike and need to get it stopping soon. any recommendations on brakes? was also wondering why most people run a big brake up front and little out back? I know on cars this is the case but cars cant endo if you catch what im getting at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaldj View Post
    any recommendations on brakes? was also wondering why most people run a big brake up front and little out back? I know on cars this is the case but cars cant endo if you catch what im getting at?
    Nothing wrong at all with a bigger front/smaller rear combo on bikes (actually very common) I would never go with a smaller front bigger rear as the front contributes way more of your braking ability.

The actual size of the rotors isnt going to change the overall cost of the brakes that much.

Also will depend a bit on rider weight - a 150lb rider can get away with a 180/160 F/R combo compared to a 250lb rider.

At this point I am not going to start recommending brakes as I have no confirmation of what your budget is. I will say that I was very close to purchasing a set of 2012 Shimano XT (180f, 160r) for my bike the other day - really nice brakeset and you are getting a lot of technology for the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    hayes strokers are solid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Nothing wrong at all with a bigger front/smaller rear combo on bikes (actually very common) I would never go with a smaller front bigger rear as the front contributes way more of your braking ability.

The actual size of the rotors isnt going to change the overall cost of the brakes that much.

Also will depend a bit on rider weight - a 150lb rider can get away with a 180/160 F/R combo compared to a 250lb rider.

At this point I am not going to start recommending brakes as I have no confirmation of what your budget is. I will say that I was very close to purchasing a set of 2012 Shimano XT (180f, 160r) for my bike the other day - really nice brakeset and you are getting a lot of technology for the price.

def bigger then 150lbs. im about 6'2 240 ish so maybe 200 frt and a 180 or 200 rear may be up my alley? that in combination with the 2 piston strokers may get me going.

mtbr member
    Recently Have decided to get into more of an FR/DH style bike, so I picked up a Transition PBR bottle rocket from a guy over on pink bike. long story short I got burned on the deal which im taking up with paypal but none the less the juicy 3's I was promised did not come with the bike, I got nothing!

so I want to ride this thing and I need to get brakes. wanted to try and keep the cost a little low seeing as how I just spent a couple grand on a bike that I thought I'd pretty much be able to ride.

My cousin is running A single rear saint 4 piston brake on an 8" rotor and suggested it to me, but I like the idea of having a front for back up or extra assistance. on my DJ bike im running a hayes stroker rear and like it a lot. some brakes ive been looking into are

F/R stroker with a 6" front 8" rear setup or 8" across

Hayes Ace stroker rear only 8" rotor

found a new set of elixir 3's with 6" rotors f/r

found some stroker carbons which are a little out of my price range with 7" front 6" rear

looking for some suggestions and help.wasnt sure if their were guidelines for "x" size rotor is what most people run etc. I also need help on the front adapter im running a set of 08 fox floats which have the 74mm post but it is also a 20mmQR and price point has adapters for both so which do i get?

thanks in advance everyone.
    I would recommend against running a rear brake only. 60 + percent of your braking comes from your front brake. In my opinion it is more like a 70 percent. If you are just dirt jumping sure use a rear only but not if you plan to do high speed downhill.

A larger rotor is better up front not the rear.

All the brake systems will work fine for you. Try to go 8" up front and whatever on the rear. 8" or 7" or 6" will all cause the rear tire to skid. It will just be harder to do with the 6" rotor in comparison.
    An 8" rotor up front will give you better modulation and braking power with more cooling surface area on long fast descents.
    A dedicated DH brake on the front would be key such as the 4 piston offerings. Any decent 2 piston will work on the rear IMO.
    I run Avid Code 5's on my DH bike and a COde 5 on the front of my everyday bike and I love them.

If you are unsure about the fork/frame adapters call Fox directly. I am pretty sure that post mount is fairly straight forward. You will need the 74mm post mount to 74mm post mount adapter for the rotor size you want to run. 20mm QR should not factor in. But I haven't paid attention to brake adapters in awhile so it could have changed.

Edit:
    def bigger then 150lbs. im about 6'2 240 ish so maybe 200 frt and a 180 or 200 rear may be up my alley? that in combination with the 2 piston strokers may get me going.
    This would be a workable solution but I might steer you to a 4 piston brake up front if you will be doing high speed steep descents.

Either way.. Have fun on the new bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Juicy 3's would be useless on log fast descents. I just rode Bommer Canyon in Irvine on my fs 29er and I was barely able to hold things together with Shimano Saints. In the begining the line of sight was good so I was able to descend quite easily but at some points I was literally flying on that trail for short periods of time. Then at the end my front brake started squealling near the tight switchbacks at the end. Fortunately I had a 180mm RT-76 rotor so I didn't have too many problems.

My friend descended on his hardtail with 203mm front rotors and Elixir R's,he told me that his could literally smell his brakes burning.

When I decended I only had 100mm of front rear travel on a freeride bike not will you have more travel but you'll also have more mass as well.

Get the most powerful brakes you can buy.

mtbr member
    okay thanks guys its another $50 outside of my range but im going to go ahead and get the hayes stroker aces and go full on 200/203mm front and rear.

mtbr member
    okay thanks guys its another $50 outside of my range but im going to go ahead and get the hayes stroker aces and go full on 200/203mm front and rear.
    Excellent choice for your size. Really appreciate that you listened to the advice given!

mtbr member

Nice...

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah looking at my receipt it was more like $90 over my $200 budget. im usually not cheap I try and practice the buy once cry once method!LOL just after spending $2k on the bike and having to sort out and fix things, I really wasnt wanting to spend lots of cash on the brakes. lesson learned ill just stick to buying frames and parts online rather then whole bikes, paypal claim has been filed we'll see what happens.