mtbr member
    Aug 2010

recommendations for El Guapo

Hi all,

I've currently got a 2011 Titus El Guapo (size Large) with BB7 brakes. This is a strange arrangement but in the midwest I really don't need hydro's. Now I have a job where I travel to mine sites all over the world to build BIG trucks and the bike is going to come with me. It's time to get some hydro's on this thing and I'd like some insight on the following:

2011 Hayes Stroker Ace
    Hayes Stroker Ace Disc Brake 2011 at Price Point

2011 Hayes Stroker Trail
    Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake 2011 at Price Point

2011 Magura Louise Carbon BAT
    Magura Louise Carbon Bat Brake 2011 at Price Point

This bike will get disassembled and shipped a LOT (85% travel schedule, each trip is 2-4 weeks). I go to very remote areas, often with no towns around so I'm looking for the most durable, easy to maintain, and easy to setup brakes I can get.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I would go for the magura option - mainly because of the mineral oil they use for brake fluid. If you are gonna be remote, you are prob gonna want spares, and I would rather have a jug of mineral oil then a jug of dot fluid to accidentally spill all over my stuff.

Plus the maguras are really good brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I hear some countries will not let you bring Hydro fluid into there country.... Look into it, I was asked when I bought my brakes if I would travel with the bike, if so they said stick with mechanical.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I fly with a bike around twice a year. Which is rarely enough that I can take care with the packing, and make sure the hydro lines are okay. If I were frequently flying with a bike and disassembling the brakes, I'd stick with BB7s and carry a spare cable. Mashing bike gear together will see cables get pinched and squeezed.

Of the three brakes you list, I would avoid Hayes. I've owned the Stroker Trails and they were inconsistent and I tossed them after a year of multiple re-bleeds from different LBSes. Friends who have owned Hayes in the past also complained about them.

I have never heard of hydro fluid being a problem with international customs- that makes absolutely no sense at all. Airlines might be concerned, but I don't recall seeing hydro fluid on the list of proscribed items for airlines.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Definitely appreciate all the help. Looks like I'll be going for the Magura's when I get out of Mexico. I end up at mining sites rebuilding large mining trucks so it shouldn't be a problem for me to fix any hydro lines that get mashed.. I'll keep an extra set with me at all times.