cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Recent Rim Brake Convert, Several Disc Rides...followup

I posted up a couple of months ago that setting up disc brakes was a bit of a pain at first but wanted to update things a bit.

First of all, my rotors are now fully broken in and the brakes (Formula K24's mounted on an XC hardtail) are working awesome. On a recent long descent, I remember thinking to myself this, in this order: "Man, I better scrub off some speed or I'm not going to be able to stop...wait! F that! I'm running disc now...hell with it, let it fly!"

I will be the first to admit, I fought the conversion kicking and screaming but alas, my ceramic sidewall had worn and thought, as long as I had to spend the money...

The modulation of these brakes is fantastic...just like rim brakes to me, but less effort. I splash through mud and water without hesitation now and love how quietly my wheels exit the wet...no more scratch scratch. Though setting up is a bit of a learning experience at first, I am sold. I feel so much more confident in my ability to control my speed, jump and ride in all conditions. Thumbs up. Glad I did it.

mtbr member
    The difference will become more obvious if you suddenly try a rim every once in awhile again.