mtbr member
    May 2010

Rebuild or scrap Juicy 3 rear brake

Need some advice here.

Bought a 2011 Trek X-Caliber in August of last year (new). The rear wheel gave me all kinds of problems, and I ended up having it rebuilt by a different shop than the one I bought it from (long story). When I got the wheel home, I threw the cassette on it, but in my haste, did not put the rotor on. I put it on the bike, gave the crank a few revolutions, and then squeezed the rear brake lever.

When the wheel didn't initially stop, I squeezed a second time before I realized what I had done. The pads had come together.

I used a small flat-headed screwdriver to pry them apart, but I noticed a small bit of brake fluid had come out from around one of the pistons. I took the pads off to inspect that they had not been contaminated, and I don't think that they were.

I put the rotor back on, and the brake seemed to build pressure well, however the stopping power did not return to what it should have been. I was thinking about attempting a bleed the other day, when I pulled pads off, and noticed a little bit of what appeared to be brake fluid on the backs of both of them....

So I'm torn. I don't love these brakes, but I don't necessarily want to pitch them either. I believe the caliper needs to be rebuilt, and the system bled.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are seeing brake fluid on the backs of the pads you may have a bad seal on one or both of the pistons. Before tearing apart the caliper and replacing the o-rings on the pistons I would just try to confirm where the leak is coming from.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Update - took the rear caliper off, and disassembled it. I cleaned it, and put it all back together. Successfully bled the brake, cleaned the rotor with alcohol, and threw a new set of pads on. After a short test ride, everything is back to normal.

This was my first time working on hydro's, and I have to say it was easier than I expected. As long as you have patience, and a good clean area to work, anyone could do the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good to hear. I'd keep a close eye on it for first couple rides, inspecting for leaks, etc. but likely you've fixed it. bravo!