mtbr member

Rear Shimano 07 caliper on Front?

I read somwhere that if you put a rear calipar on the front you can increase the rotor size. I am currently running older generation XTR calipars and was wondering if I should get the new 07 ones, and just order 2 rear sets, But my concern would be the availiblity of the rotor for the XTR centrelock hubs? What size gain would I be looking at, and can you get a shimano rotor in that size.

Also , are the older XTR rotors the same as the 07 ones in terms of Track and all? for use on a second wheelset?
    thanks

-> SickLines.com <-
    +20mm if you've got a Rear IS XTR and move it to the front. SO if you've got a 160mm XTR rear IS caliper, it is would need a 180mm rotor for the front.

Rotor availability on the XTR centerlock hubs shouldn't be an issue.

The 07 XTR calipers are available in post mount so the front and rear calipers are both the same unless you get the IS ones.

The 07 rotors are a little different, not sure of the specific differences or benefits.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    mtb_biker nailed it.. there is a 20mm difference between front and rear with the same IS caliper or PM caliper + adapter

mtbr member
    Great, so in theory, I could order a new 07 rear caliper, put it on the back, then take the current one at the back put it infront and just add a shimano 180mm rotor ....Sounds simple...

mtbr member
    oh .. and would there be a noticable improvement in breaking performance ?

-> SickLines.com <-
    In short yes to both.