mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Rear Hope Mono Mini driving me bonkers

On the last few rides my rear brake had started squeaking quite loudly as it turns (I believe the rotor is warped). It does rub, and efforts to center it have not worked fully. It only squeaks when I'm not actually braking - pulling the lever slightly quiets it.

I'm only riding a few more times before I replace rotors, pads, and do a full fluid swap, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? The squeaking is supremely annoying during climbs, so much so that I get off and spray water on it, which shuts it up for a few minutes.

I tried sanding the pads and rotor, which only made it worse. I also tried cleaning it with alcohol, which didn't help.

It only squeaks when I'm on the bike, by the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If the rotor is warped...you should be able to slowly spin the wheel and see it wobble or contact the pads.
    Do NOT use alcohol or sand paper on your brakes.
    Alcohol leaves a residue and sand paper leaves sand.
    Use brake cleaner ( available at auto parts stores)on both rotors and pads ( especialy after you wash your bike to get rid of soap residue)...and emery cloth if you need to reface the pads or rotors( and then clean with brake cleaner).

...idios...
    If it makes a noise while you're not actually braking, it means that the caliper isn't aligned or the rotor is out of true sufficiently to cause it to rub against a pad for an extended portion of its cycle, rather than just catch it occasionally (zing...zing...)

Take a read through this link for pointers to getting your caliper aligned.

When the pads are out, spin the wheel to determine how much the rotor is warped and endeavour to bend that back into shape before trying to align the caliper.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bent the rotor a bit back into shape, and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. No squeal when riding around the neighborhood, but we'll see what happens when I get out in the dust tomorrow.

Neither brakes have worked well since I bought the bike, so I can't wait to get new pads and rotors.