mtbr member
    Jun 2010

rear disk brake adapter from a2z will work on my fsr ´99?

Hi, I have been reading a lot in this forum, but I am still not sure if this rear disk adapter will work in my fsr ´99:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/a2z-r...e-id22174.html
    I attach some pics of my rear back suspension (frame). If anyone can give me advise on this it would be very helpfull (since I am changing rims too and need to know if I can finally install a rear disk brake). I looked at Brake Therapy´s adapter but do prefer a2z solution.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a '98 FSR and although the brake adapter would fit on the bike the main problem is that the rotor will end up hitting the nut on the chainstay pivot. It's hard to tell from your photos but it looks very similar to mine.

I thought of machining a bolt with a shallower head and then flipping it so that the nut would be mounted on the outside of the chainstay but in the end that it was too much of a hassle.

I stuck with rim brakes on the rear and discs for the front. Never botherd me since I rarely use the rear anyways. Only to scrub off speed when cornering if I have to.

Dirt Junkie
    I have a Specialized sharkfin on my old '99 FSR. The nut/ rotor clearance was an issue. I filed it down, nut and bolt. Took about 2 minutes with a metal file without ever removing it from the bike. I think the Disk Therapy solution is better, more like Specialized adapter, transfers forces to the brake boss which is designed to handle those forces. The a2z one would probably work, but that's alot of rotational force in an area not nessesarily designed for it.

Just my opinion.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???