mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rear Disc mount for '99 FSR Pro???

All,

As I have finally decided to upgrade to discs, from my good old trusty XTR V-brakes (which have served me well) , I am posed with a dilemma. On my '99 FSR Pro,I only note 2 holes on the rear linkage, non-drive side (obviously), that are spaced approximately 1.5 inches apart. These holes are located on theinside the rear linkage, in somewhat of a recessed portion of the inner arm. I am really hoping that this measurement is an "industry standard" now, as apparently it was believed to be in 1999. (?).

Are current standard caliper specs, such as on a HAYES Stroker or SHIMANO XT/XTR, going to be compatable with the FSR's pre-drilled holes on the rear linkage, OR is an adapter of some type going to be necessary OR I am making a big deal out of nothing and I should purchase a new set immediately and enjoy? (!)......

(Tried to upload a pic of the rear arm, but couldn't...)

Thanks all....

mtbr member
    May 2004

sounds like you need a bolt on adapter

Not sure what brakes you are planning to use. I have a bolt on shimano adapter for use with 160mm disks. Pm me for more info if you are intersted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ummm....

the best bet here would be a picture. 1.5 inches, 38mm, is not a standard spacing for disc mounting tabs. Standard measurement for International Standard disc tabs is 51mm or 2 inches. I would try uploading a pic again as that would solve the mystery post haste. The reason being is not all bike frames came with disc mounting tabs back in 99 and 00. Manufacturers were not inclined to add disc mounts to bike models that they did not intend to offer disc brakes on back then. They viewed it as an added cost item. With the advent of the popularity of disc brakes it's hard to find a frame that doesn't have them now days.

The bottom line is, you may not even have disc mounting tabs on that frame. So a picture would help a bunch! And we'd be able to tell you in short order if disc brakes are even doable. In any case 38mm spaced holes are not a standard mount spacing for modern disc brakes. May have been something odd or propietary that Specialized used back then though, you never know.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

banned
    Those frames didn't have disc tabs, but about a year or so later, they made that bolt on arm for them.