mtbr member

Rear brake lever has too much slack

compared with the front one. Looking at it, I think it has to do with the cable. Here's the low down: Tektro CF Eclipse lever, teflon-coated brake cable (with approx. 115 miles of use) and BB5 caliper. Looking at it, the outer pad is a bit too far away from the rotor, thus increasing brake lever pull. I've tried the barrel adjustments at both ends but to no avail. With the BB%, there is no outer pad adjustment, grrr! I thought this little shortcoming would be of no inconvenience. Anyhow, to rid the cable slack, do I have to adjust adjust brake lever pull by readjusting the cable end at the caliper? Thanks!

Thirsty
    I'm waiting for this answer too. My BB7s have way too much slack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am not sure about the BB's. I have HMX-2, with them similar problem is easily solved by adjusting the INNER pad. Anyway, it is a good idea to have the passive pad as close to the rotor as possible, both to improve braking and to prevent bending the rotor.

Meh.
    Loosen the anchor bolt. Pull more cable through. Tighten the anchor bolt.

MTBR Demi-God
    I would suggest trying to loosen the anchor bolts on the caliper end (as Will said) and pull the slack from the housing, and tighten them back. That should fix the major problem. Then if required, make minor adjustments using the barrel adjuster on the lever end.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."