mtbr member

Rear Brake HOWLS Until Warmed Up

Hi everyone. I am new here but not new to downhilling. Although it's been a while. I used to race back in highschool and college and have recently got back into it.

I have an 07 Gary King Fisher. My brake system is completely the Avid Elixir XO's except for the rotors which are 8" Hayes. Couldn't get rid of the turkey gobble with the Avid HS1's.

I take the bike out to the mountain once a week. It seems that no matter what I have done with the bike in the mean time, or what the conditions on the trails are, I will get a loud howl from the rear brake under hard braking on my first run. Sometimes it will only last for half the first run. Then every time out it will go quiet and remain that way for the entire rest of the day. It can do this after it sits a while at home too. I ride it in the driveway and in a few minutes the sound is gone.

I thought that maybe it was from washing it when I got home, but that doesn't seem to matter either. It's if it has sat for a while. Is this a heat issue? Do they just simply need to be warmed up?

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    mine did the same thing, I took them out, baked them in the oven for 15mins at 400ish degrees, let them cool and reinstalled. Solved my problem atleast. Give it a try.

mtbr member
    This was a one time fix right? You're not saying you did this before every time out?? Just want to be clear.

I have seen a couple other threads where people are having my same issue. The advice given was that the factory sends metallic pads cause they last longer. However, they take a few minutes to warm up and become softer before they grip the rotor properly. A common cure seemed to be switching to organic pads. They don't last as long but they are softer so they don't require this warm up time, and therefor do not make the noise.

But I'm just looking for opinions here. Does that seem to be a good recommendation?