Three sheets to the wind

Rear brake howling like a banshee

I am currently on a Haro 357 Nine which has a floating rear brake (HFX 9) I just got this bike new, and it has developed a serious howl when using the rear brake....WHY????
    I changed out the pads, no change, should I change out the rotor???

banned
    Floating?

Please explain what you mean by "floating", as it could help us help you.

Three sheets to the wind
    It's similar to the Brake Therapy set up, the rear brake is kind of not directly attached to the frame...maybe the photo helps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Ahhh...now I gotcha.

Loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the lever, retighten in itty bitty steps, going back and forth. This is after you clean the pads with sandpaper and wash them and the rotor down with tons of alcohol.

Three sheets to the wind
    OK, teriffic! What would have beeen the cause? Carbon from heat? Crud? One thing I noticed when they first started making noise was that the caliper was not centered over the rotor. I kind of think that the floating set-up has lateral play, which makes me think that the inboard side of the rotor was rubbing on the caliper body. Possible?

Three sheets to the wind
    Plus the rod has begun to bend, I think I'm going to do away with the float set-up....

Three sheets to the wind
    The matter has been resolved. I checked the parts bag, found the parts to change out the floating set-up, took it all aprt, cleaned it up and...VIOLA!!!! Ready to ride, it all werx with no funky sounds...

Before and after pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meh.
    A lot of the times, the bearings in the floaters are of poor quality and you get side to side play, which is what causes the howling. If you do decide to put it back on, make sure all those pivots are nice and tight and the bearings have no play.

If you DH a lot, the floater may benefit you. If not, it's just extra weight.

Three sheets to the wind
    That's what I was thinking, regarding the sideplay. This is some knockoff that Haro came up with, not really well designed. I'm kind of bummed because this is a DH only bike, but oh well, I can always reach out for the real deal at Brake Therapy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    one nice looking bike. cant help you with your problem though
    sorry