mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rear Brake Caliper changover

I have a DBR X10 which has been sitting for about 7 years in my shed untouched. The rea caliper that is on the bike is Gremeca (I think) which is no longer around. I need to replace the rear caliper because it doesn't return. My hardtail I have Avid mechanical which I love and have no issues with them. I was snooping around and saw that the Avid Hydraulics are not as lucky and saw that I might want to go with the xt m775 brake set up.

What I like is the price. For around 300.00 I can get brand new front and rear calipers or just the rear for about 120.00. I already have XT on the front and Its still working but needs to be cleaned up to bring it back. I like the 100-200.00 range closer to 100.00 so if there is any other brake set I could get that will be quiet and effective for free riding and XC please post.

I found this full set up on ebay. Is it a good buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XT-Disc-...#ht_2735wt_939

My question is are all the rear caliper mounts the same? As in the way it mounts to the stays? Also where the disc mounts to the hub are they still all the same?

I have been out of it for so long I almost forgot how to stay on 2 wheels. I need to get this thing back up and running soon so any help would be sweet!

The bike is a '99. I got it in '02 of a friend of mine for 250.00 (it was a trade and thats what I had into what I traded him) and it was good to me before it was left for dead. Its all mix and matched except for the components. Its all XT comp. Basically he threw it together with parts he had in his shop. All top end stuff none the less.
    Last edited by WildFingas; 04-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Rear caliper mounts on the seat stay are pretty standard these days, 51mm IS mounts, though some manufacturers offer 74mm post mounts. Back in the early days of disc brakes things weren't quite as standardized. I'm not familiar with your bike, some pics of the rear brake might help.