mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rear brake= No resistance

So I got a bike as a hand me down from my dad its a Diamond Back Response Sport, I think its something like 4 years old, but since I'm just beginning I think it'll do just fine.

Now to my question. I was told the brakes are original front and rear, the front is still stoppie strong, but the rear seems to meet no resistance, I adjusted the rear brake so that the fixed pad is as tight as possible and when I'm off the bike the brake will stop the rear wheel, but when I'm on the bike it will not stop, or barely even slow me down. I've adjusted the slack on the brake line all the way out and still nothing. This is with new pads also. Any Ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    From your description "fixed pad" I assume this is a mechanical disc brake like the BB5? Pads/rotor could be contaminated. Before you installed the new pads, did you clean the rotor with alcohol?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The pads were installed before I got the bike, But I doubt they were cleaned before installation, I'll try that. I was thinking it was due to stretching of the brake line.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I cleaned the pads and disk with alcohol and it responds better and with the front brake also applied it will slide the rear wheel. Thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabrow187
    I cleaned the pads and disk with alcohol and it responds better and with the front brake also applied it will slide the rear wheel. Thank you
    Cool. Once the pads bed in you should have even more power.