Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!

REALLY stuck caliper piston - Elixer CR

Anyone have a suggestion for removing a stuck piston from the caliper. It's pushed in flush with the caliper face, pulses a little when I put air to it but I'm pushing my max of 140psi into the orifice in the caliper housing and she won't blow out. I have the caliper halves split at this point since the inside piston freely moves and will blow out at the hint of any air pressure. I don't want to damage that side of the piston or caliper trying to retain that piston waiting for the outside to blow out...which it won't at this point.

My next move was to drill it, thread the hole, install a machine screw and see if I can pull it out. A new piston and seal kit is enroute but I'd prefer not to destroy the piston if possible. Hoping someone might share a trick they've used to remedy a similar problem before I take the catastrophic route.

TIA

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Never mind....got it.

In case someone else with a similar problem runs across this, I fashioned a bung plug on the tapered end of a pencil (cut 3/8" off the sharpened tip) by wrapping it with electrical tape and forced it to seal the outboard side of the banjo bolt hole. I have a "gun" type air nozzle that I unscrewed the skinny tube nozzle fitting giving me a nozzle a bit wider than the inboard side of the banjo bolt hole, laid a few strips of electrical tape over the hole and pierced the center of the hole through the tape allowing a pretty tight seal where I wasn't getting any air bleeding by, it was ALL getting behind the piston this time around. It required constant on/off application of air finally to get the piston moving and it finally walked it's way out. Word of caution! The piston becomes a pretty wicked projectile when it finally blows, no matter how careful you are with the air application. Mine went a solid 30' out into my front yard at a high rate of velocity when it let loose! Don't get in it's way!

mtbr member
    Excellent! Great job.

bro not pro
    so did you re-use the old piston with a new seal ?
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You did better than I did. I tried drilling the pistons out of my Juicy 5s to no success and then tried to crack the rotor (seemed like a good idea at the time). I ended up damaging the caliper. Luckily, I was able to score a new one on ebay for $5. I was only planning on using the shell and installing a new piston, but the pistons in the "new" brake were fine.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    so did you re-use the old piston with a new seal ?
    I used 2 of the old pistons after comparing them to the brand new pistons. 2 of the 4 had some damage to the face of the piston, probably from prying by screw driver. Those also had formed a noticeable line around their circumference that could also be felt with a finger nail. I'm guessing this was enough to keep them trapped in the caliper. Both of those were replaced with new. So, with 2 new and 2 old pistons along with new seals through out, the calipers are back together and functioning very well with equal movement from each side.

During the bleed process, I discovered a compromise in the front lever so that received a rebuild kit, as well. Now that it's done, even though the rear lever is sound, I think I'm gonna splurge on a kit for the rear lever. The spring rate and modulation on the newly rebuilt lever just feels better. I'm sure the rear will be due soon enough.