mtbr member

Really sticky piston!

I'm rebuilding three year old "Elixer 4" calipers. Really a specialized-specific juicy 3 caliper. All of the pistons were quite sticky. Only one came out with the air compressor. None are reusable after I got through with them.

One piston was especially stuck and couldn't be pryed (carefully) out, aired out, or anything else.

I finally removed it from the caliper half by grinding the center pyramid (for locating the pad) to a dish shape. I then drilled and used a 6-32 tap to tap the hole in the piston. After screwing in a 6-32 machine screw, I used pliers on the screw to gently rock the piston until it came loose. What a chore! It would have been better to do some periodic cleaning and lubing of the pistons ahead of time.

The piston was a hard thermoplastic like bakelite. This method worked well when no other method would get the piston out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi, I got the same problem with my Avid Ultimate Juicy Lever Cylinder!
    First I tried to bleed the brakes from bottom cylinder and wasn't getting anywhere. So I went from top down and was a breeze!., then went to my lever cylinder and was dead so I tried pumping the lever and nothing!! So I decided to dissemble the lever and the piston is stuck!!, I mean really stuck I took w-40 waited and took out the air duster to blow through cylinder and can't get this piston out. I don't know what else to do here.

Hope you're able to fix and rebuild yours. Can save a lot of money by rebuilding it!!