mtbr member

New question here. Is it really hard to align Magura rotors?

I am replacing my Hayes Stroker Trails with Magura Marta SL Magnesiums when they come out in a short while and have heard a bit about rotor alignment as being a problem. Is this true, and if so, is it complicated to overcome? Are shims necessary (fork is Fox F100 RLC w/ post mount)?

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    I had no issues with my '08 SL's which are IS mount. Did have to shim front/rear calipers a little but that's not out of the ordinary. I wouldn't think that shimming the rotors would be any worse if required.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The new 2009 Magura Martas will not have a direct IS mount. That is, they will be post mount with an IS adapter. So no need for the thin little shims that gave them a bad rep.

Personally i never found the shims to be hard to use in aligning the calipers over the rotors. And with the requirement of an adapter, you add 30 grams to the brakes.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdcd
    The new 2009 Magura Martas will not have a direct IS mount. That is, they will be post mount with an IS adapter. So no need for the thin little shims that gave them a bad rep.

Personally i never found the shims to be hard to use in aligning the calipers over the rotors. And with the requirement of an adapter, you add 30 grams to the brakes.
    That's what I was getting at; that shimming rotors if necessary wouldn't be any more difficult than shimming calipers. There are still a lot of IS mount forks and frames and I guess it surprises me that there is such a shift to the post mount. I'm not keen on them when you have to run IS adapters and add that weight. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It looks like IS is not going to be the std as the acronym implies. Looks like new frames in the future will be post mount in the rear. And most front forks are already that way.

My opinion if you do not need an adapter, post mount is better than IS anyway, i.e. can just loosen bolts and align, no need for shims. Don't know why it did not become the "std" in the first place.

But a whole bunch of frames out there now are IS mount in the rear.

BB's, brake caliper mounts, front headsets, etc. All in the process of changing.

Ridin' dirty!
    I think ISO is better than postmount though.
    I've seen a bunch of people stripping threads....on a fork with postmount you're screwed unless you have a helicoil set handy....On ISO all you do is dump the adapter and get a new one.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

meow, meow.
    What cdalemaniac says.

Besides, there is the mount facing issue. With IS mounts of forks and frames, you just use a simple facing tool and you're set. With PM, however, you have to rely on the manufacturer to get the mount straight. Very few manufacturers would do that right... And PM facing tools?! Thanks, but no.

PM for calipers, IS for frames and forks!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    +2 for IS mount. A replaceable adapter is a much more practical fix, compared to stripping PM threads.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"