Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Real happy with my XT's

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  scralatchtica824 
#1 ·
After about a month long ordeal with juicy 7's, I just took a loss and bought some 08 XT's. I really am happy with them. Now that they are bedded the power is on par with the 7's. There is no noise, vibration, rubbing... They just work and I no longer have to jump off the seat every time I touch the brakes...Will be in Moab in a couple of weeks to really test them though...

#5 ·
I've had quite a few different brakes over the years. The only ones I have truly enjoyed are Shimano. I can't believe what I've put up with in the past trying to get happy with other brake manufacturers. Power and feel is very good, happy with the fit and finish (I want functional and feels nice to use, don't care about stupid anodized bling), I can bleed them in my sleep (and get it perfect the first time), parts available at any bike shop, etc etc. They just flat out work, no hassle, no BS. Only thing I don't like are the levers are a little thin (but I am used to Dangerboy levers). The lever shape is nice just need to fatten it up a bit.

Any company that requires a $30 bleed kit and does not include it with the brakes can kiss my ass. Especially when said bleed kit consists of a couple of syringes, less than a foot of surgical tubing, two little plastic surgical tube stopper thingy's, and some brass fittings that probably came out of a supply catalog for $0.08 a piece. The SRAM CPS system is a joke too, those crappy little concave washers deform after a few installs and totally make it even more of a pain in the ass to get everything aligned.

#10 ·
jmallory said:
what size rotors is everyone running on their XTs?
I am running the older xt 4 piston that is bassically the same brake as the mini hope.

I think my front is 205 (could be 203?) but big...
My rear is 185.

I started with 160 and they were fine but somehow I ran into a freebe upgrade and couldn't pass on the deal. don't take the size deal out of context on my part tho... as I surly wouldn't pay to increase rotor size from the 160mm for xc / fr. Size may help dissipate heat for downhillers but I can't really tell much difference in the amount of force needed to stop the bike. IMO money spent upgrading the master cylinders would be a better payoff.

#12 · (Edited)
Ratt said:
Due you mean Mono M4?
I guess... it's this one. M755 Better than J7 (I have 2 sets) Better than J5 (have 1 set and have owned a total of 3) Never did a set of J3 so I can't comment on those. Did a set of H9's for a short time I gave them to my son so he could complain but like I told him they were free LOL
These XT's have modulation a madman can feel and make no noise:) you must holler to the deer on the trail, biker coming move out of the way:D

#16 ·
I have had mine since thye first came out

I am running a set of XT Servo Wave's on my DH bike with a 203/185 rotor combo and they are awesome. I have added Goodridge braided steel lines and their metal brake pads and I can stop anytime I want with no fade, great modulation, and they are lighter than Codes or Gustavs. Easier to bleed, too. Get sum!

#17 ·
I got the new XT brakes when they first came out and they're the best brakes I've ever used. I weigh 220 lbs, run 203mm rotors front/back, and the bike gets used for everything from trail rides to the double-blacks and jump trails at Whistler. My only complaints are that the full metallic pads are hard to keep quiet (so now I run resin or semi-metallic pads), and occasionally I want more power out of the front brake (only on the really really steep stuff) - will be remedied with one of the new Saint calipers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.