mtbr member

Reach adjustment on Avid Juicy 7s

I know there is a red knob that adjusts pad clearance, but this does not seem to have the degree of adjustment I'm looking for. I'm new to the hydro brake thing. I've installed a set of Juicy 7s and the levers seem to come too close to the bar before they engage the brake. On a cable brake this is an easy adjustment and I'm more comfortable with less--rather than more-- lever travel. The brakes seem to work fine but I'm not "confident" in the feel.

Also, I can readily lock up the rear wheel with these brakes but the front does not seem to grab as hard. Any thoughts on this?
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Spice
    Dec 2008
    The red knob dosnt adjust pad clearance, that stays the same regardless of the red knob or reach adjust.
    The red knob will change how much you need to pull the lever before the pads engage the disc. The distance from the normal lever position and when the pads engage is called the "deadband", which is what the red knob adjusts.
    On juicy 7's i've used I could get a ridiculously small deadband, if yours are pulling too far to the bars then try adjsuting the red knob the other way, or bleed the brakes and put a few more drops of fluid in the system.

As for the front brake being less powerfull, have you spilt anything on the pads?
    Take them off and see if they look glazed over, if they are, sand the glaze off with some fine-ish sandpaper. It's a good idea to stick them in the oven for 10 minutes or so, because this will bring any more oils absorbed by the pads to the surface.
    If they seem glazed after cooking them, it's best to get some new pads as yours are contaminated. (superstar sell good ones cheap)
    Also wash your rotor, degrease it and sand it (fine sandpaper). Then cook it.
    The brake wont be as powerfull untill its bedded in after this (should bed in after the first ride) but after that it should be ok

edit: make sure you dont cook the rotor at too high a temperature, and make sure its on a flat surface, eg wire rack, or it may distort a tiny bit. I put mine in on about gas mark 4 for my avid elixirs