Thread: Re-setting pads

mtbr member

Re-setting pads

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I own some Juicy Ultimates (new pair replaced last pair) which i used Shimano XTR rotors with. They ran 100% Rub free which was great.

I have now swapped to hope Pro rotors and Centrelock adapters and despite linning up the caliper the rotor is dragging on the outer most pad (furthest from the hub). Because it's a Post mount fork and post mount caliper i can't shim it etc so im guessing a pad reset is in need?

I did this with my last Ultimates - pushed the pads back and burst the lever seals in the process which i dont want to do on my new ones.

SO - would removing the bleed screw, attaching one of the bleed syringes with some fluid in it - allow me to push the pistons/pads right back without fuss, then obviously top the fluid up again?

Meh.
    If you're forcing fluid out, the system is overfilled anyways... that's probably why your last set failed, it was overfilled.

Resetting the pads won't do anything if the caliper isn't centered. If you can't shift the caliper over far enough, you'll have to shim the rotor over. A thin spacer on the centerlock splines or small spacers on the adapter nubs should work fine.

mtbr member
    Hi Will,

I centre the caliper over the rotor - and it does rub the outer most pad constantly.

I did think about Shims - but the centrelock adapter can only handle a 2.2mm thick rotor. Adding shims under the rotor won't be possible - but i might be able to put one behind the adapter over the centrelock splines.

However im not aware if these are available...?

mtbr member
    Sorry my mistake - fitting a spacer/shim will make the problem worse as it will push the rotor further towards the pad and rub even more.

I'd need to somehow bring the rotor closer to the hub which isn't doable - so i don't know what to do now.

Maybe the rotor will even out through use ?

Meh.
    Obviously your caliper isn't centered if it is rubbing.

Are the pistons pushed out unevenly? Is the pad gap too small?

You can try using a spacer under the locknut on the axle.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Well i've been playing around with it today - the actual setup is fine it just appears to be a badly warped rotor. It rubs on one pad 50% round and rubs on the other pad 10%

I fitted the rear rotor and it lined up fine albeit it does have a slight wobble but its not bad. The thing is i was using XTR rotors before and they are 2mm thick. The Hope pro rotors are 1.8mm thick so there should be ample space for them.

One last thing. I noticed today that on my rear caliper the pad retention clip at the top of the caliper appears faulty. One of the tabs sticks down over the top of the pads but the other side is sticking out the back of the caliper. Can i just bend this back? It's riveted to the caliper so if it snaps im well and trully shafted....