mtbr member

rapid fire (and brake levers) vs ST-M765 Hydraulic Dual Control Levers

I am looking at moving to the 'new' ST-M765 Hydraulic Dual Control Levers instead of the old rapid fires. What are other people's opinions, eg how long to get used to, better, worse, smoothness of shifting and braking, adjusting, bleeding etc.

Thanks
    Ryan

ballbuster

I tried them...

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    I am looking at moving to the 'new' ST-M765 Hydraulic Dual Control Levers instead of the old rapid fires. What are other people's opinions, eg how long to get used to, better, worse, smoothness of shifting and braking, adjusting, bleeding etc.

Thanks
    Ryan
    with the full expectation that I would hate them. C'dale was doing Demo Days at China Camp, and I took out a flippy lever equipped Jeckyl for a short 6 mile lap.

I gotta say, I dug them. I got used to them within a few shifts, and once I got there, they really were second nature.

The only major downside I had was that I occasionally like to dump several gears into granny for surprise climbing, and you can't do that with Rapid Rise/flippy shifters.

That said, I have no motivation to shift off of Rapid Fire. RF works perfectly for me, and I don't need to expend any thought on my shifting. With RF, I can fully go auto pilot with the gears.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

... and if we just ... My 2 cents

I recently switched to dual controls, I had read that some people don"t like them, but I really wanted XT hydro discs and the dual control levers seemed as a better value. I LIKE THEM A WHOLE LOT!!! it takes a while to get used to it (I also got the rapid rise XT rear derraileur), but after a couple of rides I don"t even think about it anymore. And shifting and braking at the same time is amazing, specially when terrian changes abruptly.

I used to have 8 speed XT shifter before the Dual controls, and shiting is just as accurate. I would recommend that you test ride them if possible. However, I got them without testing them and they rule!!

Besides, they look really cool
    Last edited by crisillo; 07-08-2004 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123

Thanks
    Ryan
    I'm using a reg derrailluer and I like it. I tried it the other way (pushing down on the level to go into a harder gear) but didnt like it. I guess I'm more used to the good ol stuff