mtbr member

Radial Advantage???

Magura were the first to come out with radial master cylinders, now everyone's doing it. Many claim that by switching to radial you are able to get a substantial longer MC piston...

is the radial positioning of the MC really a huge advantage for the brake?

how much influence on the braking feel/performance is their by furthering the lever's throw ( i.e. by making the lever's pivot further from the center of the bar)

mtbr member
    Steve UK, holla at me

...idios...
    You need to learn to research your own questions, George. If you're smart enough to think of the question, you're smart enough to find the answer...

In my limited knowledge of axial vs. radial I would say that the individual MC and lever design/construction and materials are as (more?) important than whether or not the piston is actuated axially or radially. Hope, for example, use an axial design and their brakes, at least in my opinion, have the most pleasing feel on the market. Other than the Hayes Stroker, the current Shimano XT/SLX and the generally highly regarded Maguras, I can't think of another radial-design MC in mountain bike disc brakes.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    I think it's just a matter of companies making like it's something different, when in reality, it's been around before, on and off. It's kind of like when the last Toyota Supra started throwing around how the front rotors were spirally vented, when in reality, this was done many times over before. They just gave the impression of doing something different.

The radial MC is simply another orientation and that's it. Overall construction and design has a greater bearing on performance, as Steve said.

mtbr member
    From what I get from a few moto sites, the resume is that a radial MC allows:
    -optimizes lever ratio and direct pressure point control for much more sensitive, powerful brake performance

In other words: you have to move the lever further to get the same braking effect but there is a lot more sensitivity in the feel of the brakes.

-Requires less space on handlebar..which isn't really an issue since everyone is running longer bars

Very interesting articles that I recommend you take a glance at:
    http://www.ducati.ms/forums/archive/...p/t-27159.html
    http://motorcyclebloggers.com/tech-t...ter-cylinders/

I like Monkeys
    Check out the New Hope Tech Series. They appear to have radial levers. And the price is going up a good bit as well.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

radial

I feel the companys' use "design for manufacturing" dictates most designs. Myself, I don't feel how the MC piston is pushed makes any difference at all. As the previous poster said, the companys just make it different because they can. I do feel that the design of the system is important. I wanted an open system (like your car). I didn't care for DOT brake fluid, it's a paint stripper and is corrosive. So, my choices are limited. I've been using Shimano discs since 03. The MC actuation (duel control) has changed during this time. They went from parallel with the bar to radial. The feel of the brakes remains about the same. Shifters were better however.

...idios...
    "Check out the New Hope Tech Series. They appear to have radial levers."

No, they're still axial.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "Check out the New Hope Tech Series. They appear to have radial levers."

No, they're still axial.
    Yep, I think you are right. I just took a quick look, the reservoir makes it look radial but the piston is horizontal. My mistake..
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!