mtbr member
    Sep 2007

R1 installation could be going better

OK intalling my new R1 brakes today. Cannot seem to get the caliper centered as one pad is rubbing evenly on the rotor. Should I shim the rotor or is there something else I can try to get the thing centered. I think these are supposed to be self adjusting so you would think this would work its way out.

If I loosen the caliper mounting bolts just a tiny bit I can get the wheel to spin freely. As soon as I tighten them up I am back where I started with one side of the rotor rubbing on one of the pads.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, I found they were quite tricky to set up. I would get them close using the method you described. Then I loosened the bolts slightly and visually looked at the pad clearance through the caliper. Then I micro adjusted the calipers by lightly tapping them with a mallet. After a few tries they were centered.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    ResHERe's what I do. Loosen bolts, pull lever and hold it. Tighten bolts. Never had any rubbing issues with any brakes, cr's, r1 s or the ones

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry guys....I should have been more informative. I am squeezing the lever when I torque the bolts to the specified tightness. In fact that is in part why I thought these would center themselves since they are self adjusting. I might try the mallet approach to micro adjust. I have noticed that I can keep getting closer and closer but as soon as I sqeeze to finish I am SOL. At least the micro adjust approach is a change and might do the trick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Civil's micro-adjust approach appears to have done the trick. I can still see where there is more distance between one pad and the rotor and the other pad. However the wheel is now spinning freely. I am not going to press my luck. I don't think we are talking about even another mm of varience. I don't trust that I can make adjustments of fractions of a mm successfully particularely since I would find it hard to believe that the top and the bottom of the caliper is off by exactly the same amount.

Of course the front wheel is the "easy" one. Now it is off to do the rear wheel. I just loooove taking the rear wheel off the bike.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be back when I get snagged on the rear wheel install.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I had the same problem on the rear of my bike with some K24s... The front was a breeze, but the rear would drag whenever I tightened up the bolts, no matter how hard I squeezed the lever. Both front and back are IS mounts. I was thinking that the IS mount in the back might have been slightly tweaked, so when I squeezed the brake it would "straighten" the frame mount, and then when I released it would go back... (I'm hoping this makes sense)

Anyway I too did the micro adjust, got it on the first try, it was no problem.