mtbr member
    Jul 2005

R magura Louise problem-need help

I have a Santa Cruz blur xc vpp (if this matters) and my rear brake is causing trouble. I can see daylight on both sides until I spin the wheel. My lbs says facing the frame won't help; are they wrong?

I've tried 3 rotors and bent them straight so it's not that. The lbs took out some shims at the right combo and it worked perfectly immediately after as I tested it in the parking lot. No noise after going down hill-which I had before with some "jerking" when going down steeps and braking. (I can't explain the noise better...) it feels jerky but not too when I pull the lever.

Went for a ride last night in drizzling rain - sound came back and every crank revolution the rotor was rubbing.

The disc mount is IS. The lbs realigned the frame and fixed the derallieur hanger.

Suggestions? Help? Advice?

Ow!
    BC, I see no one has replied yet. Since I have bunches of experience with Louise, and had bunches of problems that I solved, I will recommend a few actions.

If your tabs have not been faced yet (there is still paint on the inside), then get them faced. Regardless of what model Louise you have, paint on the tabs may never allow a completely fixed setting.

Why was your frame realinged and the hanger fixed? Crash or other nasty thing that happened to your bike? If so, then you may always have problems getting everything aligned. Also, you may need your tabs faced again even though it was done before.

Make certain the rotor is centered in the caliper, and not between the pads. I assume that the caliper is the IS type because your lbs used shims? Centering the IS type Louise caliper can take a while, but once it is in the right position, then it (generally) stays there.

Try doing the preceding, do a thorough search in the forums for similar problems (at least on Louise's but other brakes have similar problems), try them out, and reply back.

FYI, my main problem with Louises was sticky pistons. They can cause all kinds of noise and vibration if bad enough.

And you might have to find a different mechanic, or learn to wrench on it yourself. I don't completely trust the abilities of my local mechanics (based on experience, including with brakes), so I do almost all my bike maintenance, installation, adjustment.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks!

I decided to get it faced at the LBS. Leaving it there this weekend as I'll be in Boston anyway.

After I face it, would you just recommend playing with the shims/washers to get a perfect alignment? Then bend the rotter ad hoc if needed?

Thanks!