mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Quieting Scrub rotors?

Hi,
    The set of 180/160 Scrub rotors I'm running with Avid Elixer brakes are loud. I followed Scrub break-in instructions and am using Kool-stop pads. Braking power & modulation are great--i'm really happy with them that way. However the front and less so the rear are LOUD. The front howls under anything more than the gentlest of braking. The rear isn't quite as loud. I've been riding them 2-3x per week for about a month and the howling hasn't gone away.

Anyone had a similar experience and been able to solve the howling?

thanks!

Are the calipers well aligned? Are the rotors true? Do the rotor braking tracks line up well with your pads? Your front adapter is a 180 rather than the Avid 185? Had to go look up Scrub rotors, interesting looking...could be the material the rotors are made from are just noisy, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Are the calipers well aligned? Are the rotors true? Do the rotor braking tracks line up well with your pads? Your front adapter is a 180 rather than the Avid 185? Had to go look up Scrub rotors, interesting looking...could be the material the rotors are made from are just noisy, too.
    Check, check and check... I have switched to a 180mm adapter, track lines up nicely, rotors are true, calipers adjusted by shop where i bought the bike. I followed break-in instructions.

Howling of Scrub rotors seems somewhat common judging by results the Google provided. Hopefully someone w/ similar experience will share how they quieted them down...

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchRider
    Check, check and check... I have switched to a 180mm adapter, track lines up nicely, rotors are true, calipers adjusted by shop where i bought the bike. I followed break-in instructions.

Howling of Scrub rotors seems somewhat common judging by results the Google provided. Hopefully someone w/ similar experience will share how they quieted them down...
    Which pad compound are you using?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Which pad compound are you using?
    Kool Stop organic for the Elixir

Underskilled
    The old one of copper grease on the BACK of the disk pads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I didn't know about copper grease.
    A quick google gave me related forum thread.

Is it grease or some liquid gasket like one of the post further down says?

I do have some metallic anti-seize compound (silver in color) that I've used on Ti fasteners. Would this be worth a try before I go chasing down a copper compound?

Is the idea to damp the vibration with the copper compound being more temperature resistant than conventional grease?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There is a technical bulletin issued by SRAM regarding Elixir disc brakes. Although, it seems you've replaced both the rotors and the pads - both of which are reported to be the culprit causing the vibration/loud noise.

I've got the CR's and the front brakes have the exact same symptom you describe. SRAM is replacing the OEM rotors as well as the pads. Dropping the bike off this morning to remove the parts and ship to SRAM.