mtbr member
    Sep 2009

quiet down my formula rx's

I have a set of Formula Rx's. I love them except for 1 thing. They squeal. They have since they were almost new. This squeal comes only when braking. I don't have any issues with dragging. I have sanded/clean both pads and rotors. Each seperatly. It didn't seem to help. The pads look like they have real small pieces of metal in them. I was under the impression they came organic when new. This coming seasonI planned to try a new set of pads out. I'm looking for recommendations for a set of brake pads that usually are quiet.

mtbr member
    I found that my Formula R1s squeal like a stuck pig if the pads and rotors aren't properly bedded in. Are you running them through the recommended break in procedure?

I've tried both organic and sintered pads, both are relatively quiet except when wet. Even when they get splashed, a few squeezes of the levers usually dries them off enough that noise stops.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ran through the break in process. I also took them off and sanded the flat. Then redid the break in process. I have put over 500 miles on them and they have squelled pretty much the entire time I have had them. I was just looking for a different option to try out when the spring gets here.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with SwissStop Organic pads too. They don't seem to have as much outright bite as the Formula pads, but they were pretty quiet on my rotors. I wouldn't recommend running them it wet conditions, they'll wear down really fast! Otherwise, in dry conditions they're great.

It sounds like you've covered cleaning all the friction surfaces. The only other thing I can think of is to check for anything that may be vibrating when the brakes are engaged, thus making extra noise. Loose rotor or caliper bolts, etc.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/