mtbr member
    Sep 2010

A quickie: What's with the front specific and rear specific Avids?

Hi all,

planning to buy this to use as a FRONT brake for my commuter. I have various avid adapters at my disposal so I thought it's probably doable. This "rear specific" though, kind of bothers me. What's so specific about it? Can't it be adapted to work up front?

Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    ummm just one thing. I recall reading that the road version's actuator arm is made for roadie type drop bar brake levers and the MTB version is the one that works with flat bar levers.
    Just FYI, yep, just checked road version's pull is shorter.

And I know for a fact that the BB7s are not front/rear specific. Its the mounting bracket that makes it a front or rear caliper my set came with a front and back adapter.

And for $88, thats kinda steep. Shop around, you'll be able fine a better deal quite easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My old Mountain bike BB7's were front and rear interchangable, only differance was the mounting adaptors.

Why not just search the net for a front specific bb7? 62 isn't cheap for a bb7. My mountain bike versions cost my 30 for a front caliper with 203mm rotor (2010) and 50 for the rear caliper with 160mm rotor (2011).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks UEDan.

As it is part of a greater order, I save on shipping and also I have some short pull road levers that will probably work, so I save on levers, too. At least I think so, because they supposedly work with all short-pull levers; for example BMX levers, not just drop bar levers.

For some mysterious reason, the road version of these BB's are always kinda steep, price-wise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    @Daz: I hate to admit that, but I think that subconsciously I'm doing it for the looks... It's my everyday bike and I always tweak how it looks. MTB (linear pull) levers are, well, black. That's that. BMX short-pull levers come in all the colors in the rainbow!!! :-D

It's vanity that drives the human species, right?

I do what I want
    It probably "rear" because it comes with the "rear" adapter. There is no difference between the calipers themselves, its the adapter that makes the distinction.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltsoplyn
    It's vanity that drives the human species, right?
    Whoa - first time I've heard that. You might be onto something though...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hi all,

planning to buy this to use as a FRONT brake for my commuter. I have various avid adapters at my disposal so I thought it's probably doable. This "rear specific" though, kind of bothers me. What's so specific about it? Can't it be adapted to work up front?

Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks
    It ships with only the rear mounting bracket. Which also means it is older than 2010 (but there have been no design changes since ~2008).

Just change brackets as needed.

You can find much better prices though.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the answers people.

@Clones123: for western societies? are you kidding? what else?

@shiggy and others: Yes, price IS steep compared to the MTN version (and objectively as well). But, shopping in Europe (no Taiwan, US etc), where are these much better prices?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for the answers people.

@Clones123: for western societies? are you kidding? what else?

@shiggy and others: Yes, price IS steep compared to the MTN version (and objectively as well). But, shopping in Europe (no Taiwan, US etc), where are these much better prices?
    You did not specify you are shopping Euro only
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You did not specify you are shopping Euro only
    You're right, I didn't. But the question was about the rear or front specificness (?!) of the product; not the price. I might have to reconsider my "euro-only" attitude, though. It's costing me plenty...