mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New question here. Quick rotor question

Hi there,

I just managed to bend the rear rotor on my 09' Specialized Pitch Comp. I had a go at getting it straight again, but I think I might just need to get a new one.
    I've got Avid Juicy 3SL brakes, and BikePedia/measurements say the rear rotor is 185mm, but I was just wondering if it was recommended to stick with the same brand as the brakes or anything like that?
    Looking at Jenson USA they've only got one 6-bolt 185mm rotor, an Avid G3 Clean Sweep that looks pretty similar to my current one aside from the gapless inner. Would that do the job all good? Tad expensive though.

Thanks.

What could go wrong ...
    that rotor will work but so will any 185mm aftermarket rotor. I have at least 4 wheelsets with disc brakes and not one of them have the original brand rotors
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oh okay that's good to know. Thanks for the quick reply.
    Not that there's even any other 6-bolt/185mm rotors at Jensons. But any of these cheaper Hope rotors from Chain Reaction would do equally fine?:
    - Hope Closed2
    - Hope M4/E4/DH4
    - Hope Mini

Also, it has to be 185mm right? 180mm won't work? They seem a lot more common.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rhysjenz View Post
    Oh okay that's good to know. Thanks for the quick reply.
    Not that there's even any other 6-bolt/185mm rotors at Jensons. But any of these cheaper Hope rotors from Chain Reaction would do equally fine?:
    - Hope Closed2
    - Hope M4/E4/DH4
    - Hope Mini

Also, it has to be 185mm right? 180mm won't work? They seem a lot more common.
    You can use different caliper brackets if you want to change your rotor size. Here is the 2012 spare parts catalog for AVID brakes. Page 43 shows the brackets and part #. I have never had AVID brakes but I know they have a funky spacer setup for their calipers. It may be something as simple as removing one of the spacers to run 180mm.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 11-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rhysjenz View Post
    Also, it has to be 185mm right? 180mm won't work?
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I have never had AVID brakes but I know they have a funky spacer setup for their calipers. It may be something as simple as removing one of the spacers to run 180mm[/URL].
    The difference in the radius of a 180mm rotor and a 185mm rotor is 2.5mm
    The 'funky spacer' (CPS/ Tri Align Washers) are about 5mm.
    If you remove the funky spacer from between the caliper and the adapter, you'll be moving the caliper further inwards then what a 180mm adapter would, you'd then have to pack the caliper out about 2.5mm so the pads will get proper alignment with the braking track of the rotor.

If you use a 180mm rotor with your setup as it currently is then the pads will overhang the outside edge of the rotor, this is something that you do not want.

Get another 185mm rotor.
    or
    Get a 180mm adapter (they aren't very expensive) if you want to use a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the extra info, probs just keep it simple and go for a 185mm, technically more power anyhoo.