mtbr member

Quick question about Avid Juicy 7's

So far I love my new Juicy 7's
    They are so quiet, which I wish they weren't because I have no way of warning people headed up the trail. But ill get over that!

They do make a sound when I brake really hard using the front brake. It sound like a fishing reel with the drag set low and a big fish pulling on the line.
    I think this actually sounds cool... so its not a complaint. I just want to know what is making this sound and is it supposed to make this sound?
    Is it some kind of anit-locking system. It only does this sound on the front brake.

EDR
    Juicy's are notoriously noisy brakes. Most commonly the complaint is the horrible 'turkey gobble' sound they make from time to time. It's god awful! Your sound is a little different it seems but most likely still caused by the rotor and could turn into to dreaded turkey noise.

What kind of rotor do you have. Many people have taken a file to the wavy edges (on the leading side) and it works for some, not for many.

Noisy Juicy issues are well documented, use the search function if you really want more info.

Of course you might just need to adjust the set up, that would render all my info irrelevant.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mine do the same, on the front brake. Kind of a whirring noise, almost as if you'd put a playing card into your spokes but really quiet? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

My back brake made awful noises for a little while. I fixed it by replacing the 'cup and ball' washers (I don't know what these are really called) with bigger ones from a v-brake. The taller washers pushed the caliper slightly further outwards, towards the outside of the rotor, which stopped the horrible noise on the back. I did the same and it reduced (but didn't completely stop) the noise at the front. I think it's caused by the pads touching the rotor arms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TJT
    Mine do the same, on the front brake. Kind of a whirring noise, almost as if you'd put a playing card into your spokes but really quiet? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    That sounds like its just the pads passing over the little vents in the rotor.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    unfortunately, your brakes will probably develop some more sounds as they break in a bit.

in regard to the front brake noise you're hearing, that's normal. from what I understand, it happens when the air that is trapped inside the holes in the brake surface get heated as it passes the pads. the air expands, and you hear the release of the built up pressure. I may be wrong, but i remember someone mentioning it happening.

You will only hear it on the front brake for 2 reasons: 1. the front brake is, well, in front of you. since the noise is a quieter one, you are more likely to hear it when you're flying down the trail (the only time the brake makes that noise anyway) and 2. the front brake takes about 70% of the braking load, so it will heat up more and amplify the effect i detailed earlier.

hope that helps...