Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick Q for the Brake Guys...

668 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mtnbkrmike 
#1 ·
Situation:

• 2015 Shimano Deore brakes on my daughter's 2015 Kona Process SE
  • On a ride a couple of days ago, the front tire locked, straight outta nowhere
  • I had to take the front brake off trailside and push one of the pistons back out

I have had this happen way back in the day with QR front wheels when I inadvertently hit the brake lever with the tire off, but have never encountered this with a tire on. Her brake has not acted up since.

Do her brakes (or at least the front one) need a bleed or some other servicing?

Thanks guys.

Much appreciated.

#4 ·
Did you check if the caliper was properly tighten?
The caliper could have moved and start rubbing.

Any way, I would remove the pads and clean the pistons, by holding back one piston and cycle the other with the help of a few drops of mineral oil to lubricate and clean the piston. Repeat to the other piston.

It's possible that you got air in the lines, but don't know if it can expand to cause that much rubbing.

#5 ·
Was the friction from only one side, one piston, or both? Sometimes contamination can make it difficult for the piston to return after application. Every once in a while, I'll remove the wheel and pads and wash the piston area so that it's free of any contaminants, dry it thoroughly and then replace the pads after spreading the wings on the return spring to help get the pistons to return. It has worked well. Maybe that's all it needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.