mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Questions about Shimano brake hoses.

Two questions:

I have the old 4-piston XT caliper (BR-M755), and the old XT brake lever...i.e. the one with the large parallelogram-shaped reservoir and uses the banjo connection (BL-M755).

According to Shimano, this set-up requires the BH-61 hose.

I'm wondering why I can't use the BH-63. The BH-63 hose comes with a banjo connection on the caliper end just like the BH-61 hose and is intended for use on the BR-M755 caliper, just like the BH-61. I'm wondering why I can't simply install a banjo connection on the lever end of the BH-63 hose.

Anyone know?

Also, if the caliper end of my BH-61 hose is damaged, do I need to purchase a new hose, or can I somehow replace the crimped-on banjo? Or replace it with something else?

mtbr member
    I would say you can use the BH-63 as long as you have the fittings to go on the lever end. I don't have that brake, but I would say some of those parts are one time use parts. So it would be best to buy the BH-61 since it will come with all the needed parts. Otherwise you'll have to buy the BH-63 and separately buy the needed one time use pieces (usually compression fittings)