mtbr member
    Jun 2004

question V vs Disk

Hi, newbie here,

What is the maintenance like on disk brakes? cost and time compared to V-brakes. Also, what differences between hydraulics and mechanicals in this respect?

I do not care about weight, ride XC HT, but really like (fast) downhill and they tend to be rooty and with multiple 2' drops (for 1/2-1/4, sometime a full mile)...the only thing holding me back to switch is the maintenance issue (tools, time, cost, robustness, etc.)..wheather this summer in VA, is wet, and seems to be most of the time..i do ride in "extreme" cold (32F or less) and snow...

So far Ive only tried what came stock with the fuel 95 (04) which i think are Shimano, and stock on cake DLX 2 (Hayes 5 or 9?)....Any preferences between Hayes and Shimano?? why?

They seem superior (the disks) but also, the shortcomings of V-brakes could be offset by using a different riding technique (for example, hitting the break earlier and longer and more force on the levers)...would i get a real improvement in performance by using, say, Hayes V-brakes 7s or the Ti version (i noticed the gradual loss in performance of V-brakes stems from "erosion"/rust layer where they rotate on the fork?

thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

apologies...meant to say...

Avids V brakes 5, 7, or Ti...not Hayes V-brakes....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scroll to the right and about halfway there is an FAQ on disc brakes.....should answer all your questions.