TR
    Angry bunny

Question from a new Marta owner

Just got back from my first ride on my new (to me) Marta's.
    They worked beautifully and are very different from my previous Avid Mechanicals.
    However there is on small problem with them which is lateral (side to side) movement in both levers. The right lever is not too bad but the left one has quite a bit of movement.
    I just wonder whether there is a quick fix (other than just ignore it) or whether I need to get hold of some replacement levers. I have emailed Magura but as yet I have not had a reply.

I have also been told by my LBS that I have little chance of getting the parts needed in Australia and that in fact there is little chance of finding somple stuff like a bleed kit, new hoses or anything else too much over here.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for supplies of these items?? I have seen that Greenfishsports have most of it but is there anywhere else that offers better prices and that will ship to me down here??

Cheers
    TR

customized
    Sep 2003
    I would make a point to find a place in the US or Europe to ship you backup parts. I would get a bleed kit, extra syringe, big bottle of oil, compression fittings (olives and nuts), hose and at least one set of pads. I would email MaguraUsa to see if Jimi and the guys can help you. I have never dealt with anyone but Jimi. He is top notch and will have an answer to your problem.

Have you noticed that you have tons of modulation yet? I am blown away by the huge amount of braking control I have. I love tons of lever throw.

Did you face you tabs on your fork and frame?

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Just got back from my first ride on my new (to me) Marta's.
    They worked beautifully and are very different from my previous Avid Mechanicals.
    However there is on small problem with them which is lateral (side to side) movement in both levers. The right lever is not too bad but the left one has quite a bit of movement.
    I just wonder whether there is a quick fix (other than just ignore it) or whether I need to get hold of some replacement levers. I have emailed Magura but as yet I have not had a reply.

I have also been told by my LBS that I have little chance of getting the parts needed in Australia and that in fact there is little chance of finding somple stuff like a bleed kit, new hoses or anything else too much over here.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for supplies of these items?? I have seen that Greenfishsports have most of it but is there anywhere else that offers better prices and that will ship to me down here??

Cheers
    TR

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I would make a point to find a place in the US or Europe to ship you backup parts. I would get a bleed kit, extra syringe, big bottle of oil, compression fittings (olives and nuts), hose and at least one set of pads. I would email MaguraUsa to see if Jimi and the guys can help you. I have never dealt with anyone but Jimi. He is top notch and will have an answer to your problem.
    Definitely will do that. I always like to have a spare set of pads for any of my brakes.
    Will try and get onto Jimi seeing as though the European guys do not seem to be replying to emails.

Have you noticed that you have tons of modulation yet? I am blown away by the huge amount of braking control I have. I love tons of lever throw.
    I have only really had a chance to do a short ride on bitumen so far so have not really noticed yet.

Did you face you tabs on your fork and frame?
    No and I doubt that there is any LBS within the state that I live in that would have the tools to do it.

customized
    Sep 2003
    No and I doubt that there is any LBS within the state that I live in that would have the tools to do it.
    That may be an issue. Once I face my tabs, my brakes came to life. Hopefully yours are right on.

TR
    Angry bunny
    That may be an issue. Once I face my tabs, my brakes came to life. Hopefully yours are right on.
    Well they feel great and stop fine with no squealing whatsoever.
    My only concern is the side to side play in the lever and the fact that the lines have seen better days.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Excellent, I would get a hold of Jimi and get those spares. All should be well.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Excellent, I would get a hold of Jimi and get those spares. All should be well.
    So do I just get hold of Jimi via the heyjude@magurausa.com email address, or does he have a direct email address??

TR
    Angry bunny
    Cheers
    Hopefully I will hear back from him soon then.

customized
    Sep 2003
    So do I just get hold of Jimi via the heyjude@magurausa.com email address, or does he have a direct email address??
    Yeah that should work. Address it to Jimi. He so rocks. He sent me a set of pads no questions asked. I heard bad stories about people trashing thier stuff and they hooked the people up with replacements for easy money.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    TR- where abouts do you live? Queensland?

In Sydney, theres plenty of shops that have a disk facing tool. But it is expensive, expect ot pay 40bucks a end just for them to remove your caliper, insert the tool, turn it a few times, and bolt your caliper back on.

As for parts, theres is an importer for Magura brakes in Australia, but they are WAY overpriced... i got quotes of MArta SL's costing 700-800AUD per end!

The bleed kits and pads can be bought locally too, I remember phantom cycles had some. But beware, they are $$$!

Your probably best getting the stuff from the US.

I still am undecided on if I should go for Hope mono mini's or Martas...

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    TR- where abouts do you live? Queensland?

In Sydney, theres plenty of shops that have a disk facing tool. But it is expensive, expect ot pay 40bucks a end just for them to remove your caliper, insert the tool, turn it a few times, and bolt your caliper back on.

As for parts, theres is an importer for Magura brakes in Australia, but they are WAY overpriced... i got quotes of MArta SL's costing 700-800AUD per end!

The bleed kits and pads can be bought locally too, I remember phantom cycles had some. But beware, they are $$$!

Your probably best getting the stuff from the US.

I still am undecided on if I should go for Hope mono mini's or Martas...
    The Marta's are very nice and I got them for $220 shipped to my door off a guy in Sydney.
    Yeah I am in QLD and frankly I do not trust anyone up here to even touch my bike let alone face my frame and fork.
    A mate of mine up here has some hopes (not the mini's though and absolutely loves them)
    I do not buy any bike gear from Oz and the Marta parts will be no exception.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    The Marta's are very nice and I got them for $220 shipped to my door off a guy in Sydney.
    Yeah I am in QLD and frankly I do not trust anyone up here to even touch my bike let alone face my frame and fork.
    A mate of mine up here has some hopes (not the mini's though and absolutely loves them)
    I do not buy any bike gear from Oz and the Marta parts will be no exception.
    Was the guys name Lincoln by any chance?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Was the guys name Lincoln by any chance?
    Nope.
    Andrew I think.
    Worked for/owned a snowboard/skateboard/wakeboard shop.

mtbr member
    I just wonder whether there is a quick fix (other than just ignore it) or whether I need to get hold of some replacement levers. I have emailed Magura but as yet I have not had a reply
    Let me know what you hear. I've got Louises on my Spot, and my levers have had a bit of lateral play since I got them. They rattle a little bit on rough sections when I don't have a finger on the lever, which is a bit annoying, but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems -- they've got ~140,000 feet (~43km) of vertical under 'em so far.

Speaking of which... how do I know when the pads or rotors are getting worn? This is my first pair of disk brakes. My rotors keep getting warped, and I bend 'em back, per the FAQ... but what about wear? I assume the rotors last pretty much forever, and I just replace the pads occasionally?

Bodhisattva
    Jimi's correct email is:
    jimi@magurausa.com
    Life....the original terminal illness

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by justen
    Let me know what you hear. I've got Louises on my Spot, and my levers have had a bit of lateral play since I got them. They rattle a little bit on rough sections when I don't have a finger on the lever, which is a bit annoying, but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems -- they've got ~140,000 feet (~43km) of vertical under 'em so far.

Speaking of which... how do I know when the pads or rotors are getting worn? This is my first pair of disk brakes. My rotors keep getting warped, and I bend 'em back, per the FAQ... but what about wear? I assume the rotors last pretty much forever, and I just replace the pads occasionally?
    You will know when the pads are worn...trust me.
    But you should be able to see the state of them by looking in the side of the caliper.

The answer I received is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by paul@magurausa.com
    If you mean the lever blade has some up and down movement, it's probably the blade has been bent at the bushings. You can disassemble the blade by removing the big bushing/adjuster screw and spreading the end of the blade apart so that it fits tighter. Be careful not to remove the smaller bushing unless you put a 2mm allen wrench through the small hole in the bottom of the master cylinder to hold the piston in place. It will pop out very easily, resulting in your master cylinder being damaged.
    Just need to find an exploded diagram of the lever now so I can be sure I am removing the correct bushing.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    You will know when the pads are worn...trust me.
    But you should be able to see the state of them by looking in the side of the caliper.

The answer I received is as follows:

Just need to find an exploded diagram of the lever now so I can be sure I am removing the correct bushing.
    I remember seeing the exploded diagram of the lever in the Manual. Check on the website if you don't have one