mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Question for Magura HS33 masters

So, where do I start. When I was in NZ I had the pleasure of riding a friends BMX bike that was equipped with a rear HS33. With the chrome rim, the locking power was unbelievable, and the lever feel was very solid. I love that in a brake, especially for BMX. This was a freestyle frame with 990 mounts. The way he did it was to flip the evo adapters upside down from their normal positions, (990 mounts are above the rim, where normal canti mounts are below.) This meant that he couldn't use the booster, but it was an older model with the silver arms, and he only had to file them a bit. Since the frame had really beefy chainstays (they were CS mounted) there was almost no flex and so the performance was awesome.

Anyways, I would really like to run this setup on the back of my BMX. A friend had some extra evo adapters that he wasn't using and it looks like everything should fit beautifull using this method. Here is my question:

The newer (2000+ ?) HS33s have black thermoplastic elbows rather than the older silver ones. Since I can't use the brake booster, and all of the braking forces go through those little elbows, will the new black plastic ones have too much flex? Has anyone run the newer brakes without a booster? Do I need to search out the older silver evo adapter?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Easy answer...

They should be fine, but if you feel they have too much flex pop me and email and I will send you some silver ones.....
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cool beans. I ordered the brake, we'll see if the black ones do the job; hopefully they should be fine.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond
    Cool beans. I ordered the brake, we'll see if the black ones do the job; hopefully they should be fine.

Cheers
    Sweet keep me posted...............
    Pat T.