Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639

    Question on Hope X2 or E4?

    I'm getting ready to buy my first set of Hope brakes and need some opinions. I am coming from Shimano Deore, and I've had SLX's in the past. I like to do trials type stuff on my mtb and never felt like the Shimano's were strong enough for rear wheel hops and such. The levers flex a lot and it's just not what they're designed for.

    So I'm leaning toward a set of Hope Tech3 X2 brakes. Mostly because I feel like they will be enough for the riding I do, and since I don't ride sustained downhill sections, I don't think I need the E4 brakes. The X2's are lighter and I like the lever design as well. I don't want the brakes, especially the rear, to be too grabby. But I also want to be able to do rear wheel hops.

    I'm running 160mm rear and 180mm front rotors. So do you think I'll be happy with that setup, or should I go with the E4 brakes?

    Also, braided hoses or not?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    177
    I've ran E4's for several years on 2 different bikes and they are flawless... while I've never attempted the things you mentioned I have zero doubts about their ability to preform... get the braided line...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,781
    On my Remedy, I have an E4 front, to a 203 rotor, and in the rear, I have an X2, with a 180 rotor now (I used to run 203, but I dropped to a 180 to save some weight)
    The X2 is fine here, for sure, and even on larger areas. I did a few downhill rides on the bike (I forget the vertical to distance measurement) and had no issues with the X2.

    My Scarp, I have X2's front and rear, on 160 rotors. I notice the braking is reduced there a bit, but it's rotor size.

    I am currently 201 lb, but last year, I was 218.


    All of my Hopes are standard hose. On the Scarp, weight was the only concern. Remedy, that's my basher, but still, I wanted it to be relatively light. Plus, internal routing makes the braided line harder to run.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  4. #4
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,132
    I've been running E4 front with 203mm rotor, and x2 rear with 183mm rotor. Happy with the combo.
    Years ago I used x2 front and rear, it was OK for Indiana riding, but not enough coming out west.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    171
    You ride trials but want a less grabby brake? Hmmm...

    Funny, but I was a long-time Shimano user and now a Hope E4 convert. I definitely feel Shimano has a bit more outright power still. Which is great for the trials-type riding that you do.

    You might be disappointed for sheer power with Hope vs Shimano XT or SLX. But you will get better modulation, and fewer warranty claims (based on my experience with multiple failed XTR levers and calipers).

    If you want more raw power, as well as modulation, I suggest you check out the new Magura brakes. Tried my friend's set (the one with the chrome calipers). Massive power.

    But if you wanna go ahead with Hopes, I'd suggest bigger rotors front and rear.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy my first set of Hope brakes and need some opinions. I am coming from Shimano Deore, and I've had SLX's in the past. I like to do trials type stuff on my mtb and never felt like the Shimano's were strong enough for rear wheel hops and such. The levers flex a lot and it's just not what they're designed for.

    So I'm leaning toward a set of Hope Tech3 X2 brakes. Mostly because I feel like they will be enough for the riding I do, and since I don't ride sustained downhill sections, I don't think I need the E4 brakes. The X2's are lighter and I like the lever design as well. I don't want the brakes, especially the rear, to be too grabby. But I also want to be able to do rear wheel hops.

    I'm running 160mm rear and 180mm front rotors. So do you think I'll be happy with that setup, or should I go with the E4 brakes?

    Also, braided hoses or not?

    Thanks!
    the E4 from the hope site are only 17g heavier than the x2. Theres a post on here somewhere showing photos of weights, the E4 weighs less than XT's.
    OP what do you weigh?
    Turner Sultan
    Lynskey Pro 29
    Litespeed Siena

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    You ride trials but want a less grabby brake? Hmmm...

    Funny, but I was a long-time Shimano user and now a Hope E4 convert. I definitely feel Shimano has a bit more outright power still. Which is great for the trials-type riding that you do.

    You might be disappointed for sheer power with Hope vs Shimano XT or SLX. But you will get better modulation, and fewer warranty claims (based on my experience with multiple failed XTR levers and calipers).

    If you want more raw power, as well as modulation, I suggest you check out the new Magura brakes. Tried my friend's set (the one with the chrome calipers). Massive power.

    But if you wanna go ahead with Hopes, I'd suggest bigger rotors front and rear.
    I know, it seems backwards right? I guess what I mean is I like to be able to lock the rear if I want, but not all the time. My trials bike has a V-brake with special pads, and I would say it's too grabby for regular riding. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

    I see a lot of the pure trials guys running Magura on their enduro bikes, so I'm sure they are awesome brakes, but I'm kinda set on the Hope's.

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    the E4 from the hope site are only 17g heavier than the x2. Theres a post on here somewhere showing photos of weights, the E4 weighs less than XT's.
    OP what do you weigh?
    I didn't realize the weights were that close, thanks.

    I weigh 170 before pack and shoes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    I didn't realize the weights were that close, thanks.

    I weigh 170 before pack and shoes.
    The brake weights are extremely close.
    I had measured my E4 with short hose at 250 grams, and X2 with the long hose (rear) at 240g.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  10. #10
    Calgon, take me away!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,631
    If there is doubt that the E4 is enough brake (unlikely), there is always the big-daddy V4.
    Banshee Prime

  11. #11
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    The X2's are lighter and I like the lever design as well.
    The Hope Tech3 X2 and Hope Tech3 E4 use the same levers. The weight savings is also minimal.
    Instagram: @steven_bikes

    2016 Transition Smuggler aka The Honey Badger

  12. #12
    MTB Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    830
    The X2 and E4 are pretty close in weight. When I picked up my Hopes over the winter, I was planning on Race Evo E4 front, X2 rear but ended up getting E4s for both. They were the same price at the time and I figured the few grams was worth it for not needing 2 different sets of pads, etc.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639
    Thanks for the replies so far. Any opinions on the 4 piston vs 2 piston as far as setup, maintenance, etc? I've read a little on the 4 pots being a little more finicky.

  14. #14
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    It can be a little more finicky to setup since there are 4 pistons and sometimes they can stick. If you take your time and set them up correctly the first time around you'll have no issues in the future. There are plenty of videos on youtube regarding how to setup your Hope brakes.

    Basically you should pick up a bleed block like the ones found with Shimano brakes and grind a notch out so that one piston is not blocked. Before installing the brakes you should install the bleed block and work the lever till one piston starts to move out. Be careful not to push it out too far or it will pop right out and you'll end up with a mess and need to refill and bleed your brakes. Once the piston is out take a Q-tip with some DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid on it and run it along the sides of the extended piston to "lube" the seals. Push the piston back in, switch the bleed block around to the next piston and repeat. This will free up any stuck pistons. When you're all done with that you'll need to mount the caliper with no pads installed and centralized the caliper so that the spacing is even on both sides. Once that is done you can pull the levers till the brake pads engage the disc. If they don't touch evenly you'll need a small flathead to adjust the pads left to right while squeezing the lever. There's a good video for that too.

    https://youtu.be/v83YFGi5uT0
    Instagram: @steven_bikes

    2016 Transition Smuggler aka The Honey Badger

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639
    Thanks arashi. One more question. I have a 180mm front rotor now. I see Hope offers 183mm rotors. Am I ok with my 180mm rotor and current adapter? Or do I need a new something?

    TIA

  16. #16
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Yeah you should be fine running what you have. I personally run 180mm Hope rotors now but I have run Shimano RT-99 IceTech rotors with my Hope brakes in the past with no issues. I prefer the 180mm size since it's so common and if you have to replace a rotor it's easier to find most brands in that size. I just like the look of the Hope floating rotors. I'm 99% sure the adapter you have should work just fine since all it does is position your caliper for whatever rotor size you're running. I do run Hope adapters on my bike though.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    639
    Done deal. Just ordered E4 front and rear in Red. Not a bad price either, $275 shipped from Merlin.

    Thank you guys!

  18. #18
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,132
    Good deal!
    Merlin or chain reaction UK always seem to have the best prices for Hope.

    I recently swapped from hope floating rotors to Shimano Ice tech, seem to be a bit more power and quieter too, bonus. Will see long term how they compare.

  19. #19
    SoCal mtbr
    Reputation: arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    Done deal. Just ordered E4 front and rear in Red. Not a bad price either, $275 shipped from Merlin.

    Thank you guys!
    Sweet! post pics when you get them!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Good deal!
    Merlin or chain reaction UK always seem to have the best prices for Hope.

    I recently swapped from hope floating rotors to Shimano Ice tech, seem to be a bit more power and quieter too, bonus. Will see long term how they compare.
    I haven't had any noise issues with my Hope rotors and I'm running sintered pads. Question on Hope X2 or E4?-img_2262.jpgQuestion on Hope X2 or E4?-img_2173.jpg
    Instagram: @steven_bikes

    2016 Transition Smuggler aka The Honey Badger

  20. #20
    NWS
    NWS is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,427
    I have X2 on the rear of two bikes (with 180 and 140 rotors), and while modulation is outstanding that's partly because at full squeeze they're not very powerful. Adequate, but only just barely. It's hard to get the back wheel to skid, which is fine with me, but I don't know if they'd work well enough for wheel hopping.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,781
    Something's not quite right then.
    I have an X2 on my Remedy on a 180 rotor, and an X2 on the rear of my Scarp to a 160 rotor. I am 200 lb, and locking up the rear wheel is not a problem at all.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Similar Threads

  1. Hope question
    By nickcarll in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
  2. Simple question...I hope.
    By kjsayers in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
  3. Another hope pro question
    By machine4321 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
  4. Hope Hub Question
    By wookie in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
  5. Hope Pro II Hub Question
    By .Shawn. in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Members who have read this thread: 83

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •