mtbr member
    Oct 2005

A question for hope v2 owners

I got a set of v2's for my bike, got a little confused trying to install them:
    the bigger caliper (the one with the bigger black circle, the squere bolt eye) - supposed to go in the front - so I thought...
    But, the hose length fits the back! (longer hose).
    The smaller caliper (slightly smaller black circle, oval bolt eye) is linked to a shorter hose that fits the front?.. By the way, the tech handle that connected to that caliper got the "tech" cap instead of the flag.
    The pics on hope web site are the same for both sides - so no help there.
    Chain reaction site show the bigger caliper as the front one!
    Is it possible that hope swapped the hoses between the front & the back?
    can you take a look at your setup and check the difference between the front and the back?
    A picture will be appreciated....

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by 110
    I got a set of v2's for my bike, got a little confused trying to install them:
    the bigger caliper (the one with the bigger black circle, the squere bolt eye) - supposed to go in the front - so I thought...
    But, the hose length fits the back! (longer hose).
    The smaller caliper (slightly smaller black circle, oval bolt eye) is linked to a shorter hose that fits the front?.. By the way, the tech handle that connected to that caliper got the "tech" cap instead of the flag.
    The pics on hope web site are the same for both sides - so no help there.
    Chain reaction site show the bigger caliper as the front one!
    Is it possible that hope swapped the hoses between the front & the back?
    can you take a look at your setup and check the difference between the front and the back?
    A picture will be appreciated....

The bigger caliper is a V2 caliper, and the smaller caliper sounds like it is an X2 caliper. Each brake requires a different rotor. The V2 (bigger) has a much bigger rotor. If you have the correct rotors, you can simply unscrew the hose from each caliper (assuming you have the tech levers, which are identical) and swap them. You will have to bleed both brakes.

You want the the larger V2 in the front, and the X2 in the rear. Is this what you ordered?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    The bigger caliper is a V2 caliper, and the smaller caliper sounds like it is an X2 caliper. Each brake requires a different rotor. The V2 (bigger) has a much bigger rotor. If you have the correct rotors, you can simply unscrew the hose from each caliper (assuming you have the tech levers, which are identical) and swap them. You will have to bleed both brakes.

You want the the larger V2 in the front, and the X2 in the rear. Is this what you ordered?
    Hell no.
    Both of the calipers are definitly tech v2. There is a size difference between the front one and the back. I checked with two stores and compared to pics on the web, they are both v2.

Knollician
    Hell no.
    Both of the calipers are definitly tech v2. There is a size difference between the front one and the back. I checked with two stores and compared to pics on the web, they are both v2.
    Would you say the black piece on the back is about the size of a quarter, and the front about the size of a nickle? As far as I know Hope did not change the piston size from 2009 (Union Jack flag on the cover) to 2010 (black Tech cap). The 2010 caliper is going to be very slightly smaller due to the additional CNC work, but the black bore cover should be the same size.

The V2 and X2 caliper look identical, except for size. Are the rotors the same style?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Would you say the black piece on the back is about the size of a quarter, and the front about the size of a nickle?
    Sorry, don't have quarters & nickels here...
    The black piece of the smaller one (shorter hose) is 2.17 cm.
    The black piece of the bigger one is 3 cm. By the way, I think it came inside the "tech v2 rear" box... But not completely shure.
    Both brakes came without rotors - I'm using my 203 mm hayes rotors.

Knollician
    Sorry, don't have quarters & nickels here...
    The black piece of the smaller one (shorter hose) is 2.17 cm.
    The black piece of the bigger one is 3 cm. By the way, I think it came inside the "tech v2 rear" box... But not completely shure.
    Both brakes came without rotors - I'm using my 203 mm hayes rotors.

It sounds like you have an X2 caliper with the shorter hose.

Hayes rotors will not work properly with the larger V2 caliper. The braking track (height of the braking surface) is not large enough. The V2 has a unique rotor that is larger than a standard rotor. The Hayes rotor should work fine with the X2 caliper. Post photos if you can, then I can tell you certainly if you have an X2 caliper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The guy at cycle surgery that sold me the brakes, told me that one of the brakes is the more modern / recent style that hope makes, can this be the reason?
    Another store that I checked had the same (big and small) calipers inside the "tech v2 rear" & "tech v2 front" boxes.

...idios...
    The original V2, which came with the Moto lever, has a large piston bore cap, more or less the same width as the bore itself. The early Tech V2s also used this caliper design. When the V2 was revamped to unify the caliper design over the whole range, a smaller bore cap was used; hence you have the smaller caliper on the newer Tech lever. Although virtually identical in appearance to the X2 caliper, the V2 is larger.

Both V2 calipers should have 'V2' laser etched on the inboard end of the piston bores.

All Hope Tech calipers are identical in their fitting - there's no front and rear specific. You can run either caliper wherever you like as long as you use the correct adaptor mount.

As tiSS'er said, your Hayes rotors are not suitable for the V2 as it uses a very wide braking track. The pads will be grabbing at the rotor arms and, apart from diminished performance and potential safety issues, you'll probably experience noise and pulsing through the lever when braking.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 08-31-2010 at 03:09 AM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Both V2 calipers should have 'V2' laser etched on the inboard end of the piston bores..
    The older, union Jack flag lever, bigger caliper has the hope logo laser etched on the caliper.
    The new style has the "v2" logo, so I guess it's a v2...
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    All Hope Tech calipers are identical in there fitting - there's no front and rear specific. You can run either caliper wherever you like as long as you use the correct adaptor mount.
    The brake force of the big & small calipers is the same?
    Is it safe to install the smaller one on the front?

...idios...
    The brake force of the big & small calipers is the same? Is it safe to install the smaller one on the front?
    The calipers are only different in their appearance and weight. As I said, any Hope caliper can be used on either the front or the rear of the bike.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler