Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Question about XT M785 lever reach adjustment

I am considering getting the XT M785 brakes. My hesitation about getting them is that I don't know if I will be able to adjust the lever close enough to the bar for me. It might be my short fingers, personal preference, or both, but I like the brake lever adjusted pretty close to the grip, both in terms of where it is when I go to reach for it, but also where it engages. I run mine closer to the bar than anyone I know, certainly more than any other bike I've ridden.

I'm running BB7's with various avid and Shimano levers on different bikes, and I have always been able to dial them close enough, but a couple of the Hydro brakes I've tinkered with either did not adjust or did not adjust far enough in. I have never played with XT's.

So, my question is whether these allow a pretty wide range of reach adjustment.

Thanks
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Lots of adjustment in the 785 reach.
    The new "shorty" levers are great.
    Go to a bike store and play with some of the XT brakes on the display bikes or ask a fellow rider on a trail or at the trailhead to check them out.
    XTs are everywhere

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Lots of adjustment in the 785 reach.
    The new "shorty" levers are great.
    Go to a bike store and play with some of the XT brakes on the display bikes or ask a fellow rider on a trail or at the trailhead to check them out.
    XTs are everywhere
    Actaully, I don't see them that often, which is why am asking here.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem. I have small hands and have no problems with reach and contact. Just for reference, my previous brakes were Avid CR's so I could adjust reach and contact. The Shimano's are as good as far as good ergonomics even with my small hands. You'll definitely find an improvement in ease of braking compared to the BB7's. I have BB7's on my commuter and it is incredible how much more effort it takes to pull the levers and modulate the braking.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Just ordered a set. Got a pretty good deal on the whole package, including the adapters and ICE tech rotors. I find that my bb7's generally feel a lot better than almost anyone else's I have tried, so I hope that these really are that much better. I don't often upgrade stuff that is not broken, but after 10 years, it is becoming apparent that these bb7's are just never going to die.