mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here. Question about Shimano Brakes leaking and olive fitting

These are 2012 XTR Race Brakes.

I was riding this weekend and lost all braking ability in the front. Fluid was leaking out of the lever. Upon inspection the fitting (where the olive and plunger are) was pretty loose. I removed it and checked the olive (it looked good). I didn't replace anything, I re-tightened everything, bled the brakes, and they seem fine. I haven't gone for a ride yet.

I know you're not suppose to re-use the olive.

Does this mean I can't unscrew the hose with olive, pull it out, then put it back and tighten the fitting?

If I pull the olive out at all do I need to replace it?

Do I need to cut the hose to replace the olive?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur View Post
    These are 2012 XTR Race Brakes.
    Does this mean I can't unscrew the hose with olive, pull it out, then put it back and tighten the fitting?
    Depends on who you talk to, but I personally tend to replace the olive if I ever disassemble, as it is a compression fitting.
    If I pull the olive out at all do I need to replace it?
    I would.
    Do I need to cut the hose to replace the olive?
    Depends on the state of the hose. That you need to decide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I would.

Depends on the state of the hose. That you need to decide.
    Thanks for the reply! I only asked about the hose because the olive is compressed onto the hose.. It doesn't budge. I'm not sure how to remove the olive without cutting the hose. The condition of the hose is fine.

Any tips?

mtbr member
    Haven't dealt with Shimano in a while, but Hope is just press fit over the fitting. It should just pull off. If not, feel free to cut a bit off, but just make sure that you have enough hose! Once you do it, there is no going back!

mtbr member
    New olive every time. Make sure to cut hose perfectly square as this is a crucial step to prevent leaks. Insert a new barb onto hose. Lightly grease the olive before inserting back into lever. Push hose into lever and tighten bolt while maintaining pressure pushing hose into lever - this helps the olive compression fitting to compress and seat itself squarely onto lever and creating a leak proof connection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I did not replace the olive and everything seems to be fine. I've ridden about 40 miles with no issues or leaks. The brakes feel great! Maybe I just got lucky. The olive is seriously clamped onto the hose. I'm not sure how to get it off without cutting the hose.

This does seem what it's designed to do... How else would it hold the fluid in and keep the hose from falling out?