mtbr member
    Sep 2011

question about bleeding avids

I have avid elixir 5's. They are about a month old with about 200 miles on the brakes. Recently the rear lever has gotten mushy and I had no stopping power. I thought maybe I needed to bleed the brakes so I got a bleed kit and ran the procedure. With the bleed block in the lever is very firm. When I put the brake pads back on, the lever is mushy, pulling all the way to the bar and barely stopping.

I looked at the pads and they are worn to the point where they are just above the metal spring.

Do worn pads cause mushy levers?

If not, what would cause firmness with the bleed block in, but mushiness once the regular brake pads are in?

mtbr member
    The caliper piston has to travel further for the pad material to contact the rotor with worn pads. Thus the long lever pull. Replace the pads. Should be fine.

Gumnut Peddler
    +1 for replacing pads. You 'can' temporarily space them out for a quick test ride, but new pads are not that expensive to just replace properly.

If they are still mush, then you may need to put a kit through your levers or calipers.

I did this recently on my Juicy 7's and was surprised at how awesome it makes my ride feel again. I guess over a race season I didnt really pay as much attention to lever 'mush' as I should have. The pads were replaced once, and system bled once or twice, but I only put a kit through once I grabbed a handful of lever/bar and kept on going.

Seals and pads are cheap to do and will bring the brake system back to life again.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    +1 for replacing pads. You 'can' temporarily space them out for a quick test ride, but new pads are not that expensive to just replace properly.

If they are still mush, then you may need to put a kit through your levers or calipers.

I did this recently on my Juicy 7's and was surprised at how awesome it makes my ride feel again. I guess over a race season I didnt really pay as much attention to lever 'mush' as I should have. The pads were replaced once, and system bled once or twice, but I only put a kit through once I grabbed a handful of lever/bar and kept on going.

Seals and pads are cheap to do and will bring the brake system back to life again.
    the brakes are new, I just assumed that the lever was mushy and needed a bleed, but if worn pads can make the lever mushy, then it is the pads.

mtbr member
    You can pull the wheel and pump the lever..this will set the pads closer in and return the brakes temporarily to have less lever travel. Just drop some pads in....$15.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT