question about 2007 Avid bb7 breaks

Hello I'm planning on upgrading my disc breaks and have decided on bb7's i can get a pretty good deal on 2007's but before i do, is there any differences between them and the 2009 performance wise i mean? as for the 2007's it says rear on them but on the 2009's they don't have labels on where they should be mounted can a rear break be mounted on the front or are they made differently?

Also any suggestions on what size rotors should i get? I'm 5'9" and only 130 lbs.

Thank you in advance

mtbr member
    I have a 2007 or 2008 160mm in the rear and I just upgraded front brake (old hayes mx-1) to 2009 bb7 160mm. There are adapters for both rear and front installation included in 2009 brake set.

The old bb7 is light brown or champagne-ish color and the new one is dark grey or black..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have 160mm and I am 190lb. You should be fine with the 160's. BB7 are great.

mtbr member
    This forum is spelled B-R-A-K-E, most websites that sell them spell it B-R-A-K-E, doesn't that give you a friggin hint on the spelling?

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske312
    Hello I'm planning on upgrading my disc breaks and have decided on bb7's i can get a pretty good deal on 2007's but before i do, is there any differences between them and the 2009 performance wise i mean? as for the 2007's it says rear on them but on the 2009's they don't have labels on where they should be mounted can a rear break be mounted on the front or are they made differently?

Also any suggestions on what size rotors should i get? I'm 5'9" and only 130 lbs.

Thank you in advance
    Dang, you must be as thin as a rail! I'm a little more than an inch shorter than you and about 10 lbs heavier and my friends and coworkers tell me that I'm thin!

Difference between the older BB-7s and the newer ones: Old version has front and rear-specific calipers but the newer ones are used for both front and rear interchangably, with the only difference being the adapter used to mount the caliper to the frame. I believe that they redesigned it to fix any reported issues with the brakes that have popped up over the few years that they have been on the market. While they were at it they probably found a few ways to reduce production costs.

Power-wise, they're the same. Functionally, they're very similar, with the inner adjustment knob being more difficult to turn on the newer version, a part of the cost-cutting, in my opinion. It's because of the way the knob is attached to the caliper body. I never took the older version apart when I had it but the newer one fell apart on me when setting it up so I got a good look at it. I believe that they use the same pads and adapters but that's where the similarities ends.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    Difference between the older BB-7s and the newer ones: Old version has front and rear-specific calipers but the newer ones are used for both front and rear interchangably, with the only difference being the adapter used to mount the caliper to the frame. I believe that they redesigned it to fix any reported issues with the brakes that have popped up over the few years that they have been on the market. While they were at it they probably found a few ways to reduce production costs.

Uh, no. The calipers have always been the same, only the adapters make them front or rear.

I've got original BBDBs (before they changed the name) and 08 BB7s, caliper body construction is a bit different, color a bit different, you can use a torx on newer models to turn the inboard pad when it's tight (my favorite change). Performance I can't tell any difference, I wouldn't worry much about model year differences...

OP--I'm not sure since I haven't owned any, but the road version of the BB7 may be marked with an "R"....uses a different amount of cable pull.
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 04-28-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    This forum is spelled B-R-A-K-E, most websites that sell them spell it B-R-A-K-E, doesn't that give you a friggin hint on the spelling?
    spellingnazis are out in force today
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B@dKarma
    spellingnazis are out in force today
    You think it's okay? brake=break, Infiniti=Infinity, rotor=drum, engine=motor

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    You think it's okay? brake=break, Infiniti=Infinity, rotor=drum, engine=motor
    whell, eye'm knot teh won pointing things owt ,now, am eye
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy