mtbr member
    Oct 2008

putting flat bars on a cx bike, brake lever help pls

i've got a bianchi axis that i want to put some flat bars on to do casual riding with the g'friend. the bike has centerpull brakes and i don't know how to tell what type of lever that i would mount on a flat bar will work, if any at all. is there a big difference in the throw of a road lever v. flat bar lever.

any suggestions, recommendations, direction would help.

thx much, cheers, jason

mtbr member
    a lever designed for cantilever brakes, not linear pull/v-brakes is what you want... might also be found as bmx levers.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck
    i've got a bianchi axis that i want to put some flat bars on to do casual riding with the g'friend. the bike has centerpull brakes and i don't know how to tell what type of lever that i would mount on a flat bar will work, if any at all. is there a big difference in the throw of a road lever v. flat bar lever.

any suggestions, recommendations, direction would help.

thx much, cheers, jason
    Cane Creek

Shimano

Tektro

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks very much guys, and 72 thanks for the links. looks like it'll be easier than i thought.

happy riding y'all, cheers, j-

mtbr member
    I don't understand why you want a flat bar to make things more "casual". You're going to need shifters too right? You have a cross bike with drop bars and integrated shift/brake levers? You could just buy the levers 72 showed you and put them on your drop bar.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Did the same thing to my Bianchi Volpe, and went with Poverty levers from DansComp. Works fine with my Misfit FU2 bar, along with SRAM Attack shifter for the rear and a cheap thumbie for the front. See http://www.danscomp.com/486024.php?cat=PARTS
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    limba, i want the flat bars to sit upright with a wider grip. just for my comfort. if i was going to keep the drops then i wouldn't change anything. and yeah i'm going to need a shifter, i'm going to make it a mono up front and just get a shifter for the rear.

thx joe for the link.

thx guys, j-

LDH
    mtbr member
    I use these on my flat bar road bike with the sram triggers.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tektro-BMX-C...d=p3286.c0.m14
    they work great.