COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Pushing back Juicy pistons....pad change?

I'm trying to change my Juicy 7 pads and I can't seem to push the pistons back to get the pads in. I had the pads in once but there was nor enough room for the rotor.

Is there a trick I'm missing? I'm using a box end wrench to try to push them.

Thanks
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

Meh.
    Try letting a tiny bit of fluid out of the lever bleed port. Just a couple drops.

A tire lever works well for me. Or I'll just use a screwdriver between the pads. It doesn't really mark up the surface of the pads, and if it does, it doesn't really matter anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Juicy Issues

I had the same issue, every time I'd try my best to push the pistons back and they never stayed put for very long, I'd always end up with drag again and again. I tried the screw driver trick and it worked a little bit and even though a chip or two came out of the pad, it did not affect the performance. The pads DO NOT simply snap into place without any tools as per the manual, they are a pain in the butt to change. I got sick and tired of them and bought a set of Hayes 9 Carbons for a very good price at Universalcycles.com. My first ride on them was yesterday, they are not quite as strong as the Juicy's but are close enough for me. They will likely get stronger as they brake in, the extra 100 grams and slightly larger caliper makes no difference to me. I had the original Hayes hyd discs for 4 years without a mintues trouble.

Meh.
    I think the 9s are garbage. Poor modulation, and very poor quality.

It sounds a lot to me that your J7s were not set up properly. Very likely overfilled, or it's even possible that the calipers weren't centered.

The pads can be a little difficult, but you do not need tools to install or remove.

LBS Manager
    I just got a set of jucy carbons my old brakes were Marta's. I must say I'm not realy impresed with anything other than the lever feel. They are noisy, heavy and the cps system is garbage. Give me the shims any day. I hope they get better or they will be going . Also the pads are more dificult to remove than any other brake I have ever worked on
    Last edited by Johnny Hair Boy; 10-06-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Meh.
    I continue to believe that 90% of Juicy complaints are from improper setup or adjustment.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I continue to believe that 90% of Juicy complaints are from improper setup or adjustment.
    I agree with you on that as well.

I continue to believe that 90% of Juicy complaints are from improper setup or adjustment

I think you could extend that to say 90% of disc brake complaints are from improper setup or adjustment (maybe add expectations, too).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    My complaint is that the CPS system that is suposed to align brakes dosn't work. I have never had an issue with brakes that use the IS system with shims. In my opinion mounting brackrts are for the birds. My juicy carbons work but are no where near as nice as my Martas.

CPS on my Avids works great and alleviates the need for tab facing; what doesn't work for you about CPS? It really can't be compared to using shims on a different caliper/mount, though, an apples vs oranges sort of comparison. I've helped a friend use shims on a set of Maguras...what a pain.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    CPS on my Avids works great and alleviates the need for tab facing; what doesn't work for you about CPS? It really can't be compared to using shims on a different caliper/mount, though, an apples vs oranges sort of comparison. I've helped a friend use shims on a set of Maguras...what a pain.
    From what I understand with CPS you loosen the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket, then squeeze and hold the brake while you tighten the bolts and the caliper is aligned. That would be great if it were true. That method has yeilded 0 results for me I finally got them aligned but had to do it manualy which was way more of a pain in the ass then using shims. If you ask me the CPS system is bulky heavy and doesn't work and don't get me started on the rotors.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Cps

Avid CPS system doesn not work as promised. You really have to visually align the calipers over the rotor first, not completley relying on the CPS system to do the gross alignment. Once set up properly, Avid J's are awesome.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]