mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Pulled lever of Shimano Deore brakes no wheel on (I know...DOH!)..how to reset lever?

So I stupidly pulled the lever of my Shimano Deore rear brakes (2008 Brodie Mettle) without a wheel on the bike. Now the lever has too little travel before brake caliper works. I tried to push the piston back in. I removed the wheel and put two MacGyvered pieces of plastic (cut section of a CD) into the caliper and then carefully used a headset wrench to slowly push the piston back. I put the wheel back on and the lever seemed ok. Went for a ride and after about 10 minutes and a few pulls on the lever I am back to where I was before.

Should I bleed the brakes or could I push the piston back in again, only this time, with the lever pressed in part way?
    Last edited by morkys; 03-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When this has happened to me I was able to get the piston back in place with a little push and twist from a screwdriver.

Be careful not to damage the caliper, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    When this has happened to me I was able to get the piston back in place with a little push and twist from a screwdriver.

Be careful not to damage the caliper, though.
    Don't worry, like I said, I put two pieces of plastic inbetween the caliper so that my metal headset wrench did not contact the piston directly.

I thought I got things back to ok when I pushed the piston back but oddly it's almost back to where it was to begin with (after I messed up). I think maybe the lever is not engaging quite as far out as when I first messed it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah you probably still have too much play. Push the caliper out and keep the spacer in there. Then engage the brakes all the way to set that as the "bite" point. Then I usually give the lever a few flicks (engage and release quickly) to pop any bubbles in the line. Not sure if that does anything but I feel like it does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You mean I DON'T have enough play. The lever engages the caliper too far out from the bar, compared to what it did before, and compared to the other lever for the front brake.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    There may be too much oil. Crack the bleed screw on the lever a bit, then push the pistons back in.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Also, using only shimano mineral oil, use a q tip and lube the pistons around the seal a bit before pushing back in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I will try those things. No oil was ever added and the brakes have never been bled in 5 years of not a whole lot of riding.