gdv
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Proper way to setup Juicy 3s

I've heard different ways of setting up Juicy 3 brakes once the pads have been changed, does anyone have a sure-fire method? My rears are rubbing after a pad change. I pushed the pistons back in, replaced pads, loosened the caliper bolts, gave the lever a couple hard squeezes then held it and tightened the caliper bolts. Is this correct? Should I have left the pistons all the the way in for a while so they could lubricate?

Thanks,

Rub it............
    How bad are they rubbing?

If its just a little bit here and there, you can "tweak" the rotor so it doesn't rub. If its rubbing all the time, then you need to re-adjust the caliper. Sometimes the "squeeze the lever a few times then tighten down the caliper method" doesn't work, and you need to visually align the caliper to prevent rubbing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Make certain both pistons are moving out when squeezing the lever, seems like that causes a variety of problems including rubs. I have found just taking the caliper apart and cleaning everything helps with many problems. Most of the time I am able to re-use all the o-rings and seals.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Another thing - The Juicy brakes can be difficult. Once you get them correct they will last.