mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Proper brake line placement? pics included

So we put the brakes on my bike without really thinking about the brake line, and now it is kind of in the way. I dont want to take them off and have them get thrown off at all (see reply to ImWithBusey's post). Below are some images, is this the best way for my brake line to hang around, should we do something else with it?

There's no app for this.

cut the line and duct tape it to

just kidding.

Get zip ties. Loosely zip the lines to brake arch and any place you need to control it. Check to make sure it's not too tight with turning your wheel/handlebar.

Look on this very expensive new bike *I NEED* and you can see how they are used all over the place.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Agreed, zip ties are a bike's best friend.

However, you may want to remove the cable and run in in front of the brake arch, rather than behind, or vice versa. How you have it right now is on the noodly side.

I run mine down the outside of the fork leg, zip tied to the brake arch, that's all that's needed.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by heff®

However, you may want to remove the cable and run in in front of the brake arch, rather than behind, or vice versa. How you have it right now is on the noodly side.

I run mine down the outside of the fork leg, zip tied to the brake arch, that's all that's needed.

are you trying to say that its "noodly" in the sense that he needs to shorten it?

Crank monkey

Here's how I routed mine...

Originally, the front cable went around the outside of the fork. but it rubbed a lot and was a bit longer routing. I re-routed it to take the shortest, straightest route. Zip tie onto the arch, and voila! If I were you, I'd unhook it from the v-brake boss at least. Sorry for the crappy pic.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by heff®

Routing it on the inside at the bottom and outside at the top works well and helps protect the line incase of a crash.
    Nothing to see here.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Routing it on the inside at the bottom and outside at the top works well and helps protect the line incase of a crash.
    can you guys post front on pics, im trying to figure out how "straight" i can go with my cable routing...

thanks