mtbr member
    Jun 2010

promax q3 hornet hydraulic disc - any good?

any user reviews or comments to know if these are any good? i'm thinking about swapping them with bb7 + sd7 levers after i pre-order my trek cobia 2011 . i hear that cheap hydraulics are a PITA compared to bb7s.

mtbr member
    bleeding is easy.. why dont you give them a try first before swapping them out?

Two-Niner
    Jan 2011
    I know this is old, but I wanted to give some feed back for when folks search on these. I've used these brakes on the Cobia for 4 months. I broke them in proper with a couple hard sudden stops (with cool off in between) to get rid of the coat on the rotors.

They are good brakes. They are smooth and reliable. My only complaint is that the 160 in front gets over worked being that I'm 235lbs. I feel a 185 or bigger would help with the over heating. I glazed the pads at one point, which a little light sand paper work resolved quickly.

I am not going to state they are better than Elixir, Juicy, or Hayes, but I will say they are solid and would be the last thing I'd worry with replacing on the cobia or any other bike they come on. They do perform very well.

Also, a friend has Alivio hydro's and we've adjust (centered) the brakes about the same amount of times.
    2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, X9 rear derailleur, X9 shifters, Bontrager race bar, Bontrager race stem, WTB saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any hydro brake is better than mechanical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vanamees
    Your post reminds me of a post I just read somewhere else where the guy says V brakes are better than Mechanical Disk brakes. Much like him, you are completely wrong.

I just bought a new Montare (my 6 year old one was stolen last week (after about $900 worth of upgrades)) and it comes with Promax Hornet hydraulic disc brakes and I'm dumping them as soon as I get my next paycheck and putting on another set of Avid BB7s (especially after reading the reviews online).

I hate the feel, I hate the lack of adjustability and the fact that a busted line will put me out of action or make a big mess. I can take up slack anywhere at any time and completely customize the feel of the brakes without the need of any special tools or bleeding them or anything else. If I break a cable I can replace it on the side of the road/trail in minutes without any special tools or oils (I do carry a spare cable w/no housing just in case, but I've never broken one).

So far I can't really think of a single reason to use hydraulic brakes over mechanical brakes. My BB7s were able to stop on a dime wet or dry and don't have any of the hassles that you get with hydraulics. Did I mention I only have to replace my pads every year or two. I hear the promax pads wear out in no time at all.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by vanamees
    you clueless hydro-nazis just need to STFU

Van - you are a COMPLETE (with all bells and whistles) idiot - please slip on a 50/50 handrail grind w/ 80'-tall trucks.
    We need 0 (zero) little 'yous' running around.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Two-Niner
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbowling
    Your post reminds me of a post I just read somewhere else where the guy says V brakes are better than Mechanical Disk brakes. Much like him, you are completely wrong.

I just bought a new Montare (my 6 year old one was stolen last week (after about $900 worth of upgrades)) and it comes with Promax Hornet hydraulic disc brakes and I'm dumping them as soon as I get my next paycheck and putting on another set of Avid BB7s (especially after reading the reviews online).

I hate the feel, I hate the lack of adjustability and the fact that a busted line will put me out of action or make a big mess. I can take up slack anywhere at any time and completely customize the feel of the brakes without the need of any special tools or bleeding them or anything else. If I break a cable I can replace it on the side of the road/trail in minutes without any special tools or oils (I do carry a spare cable w/no housing just in case, but I've never broken one).

So far I can't really think of a single reason to use hydraulic brakes over mechanical brakes. My BB7s were able to stop on a dime wet or dry and don't have any of the hassles that you get with hydraulics. Did I mention I only have to replace my pads every year or two. I hear the promax pads wear out in no time at all.
    One advantage- one finger breaking is easier with a good set of hydraulic brakes as the fluid applies greater pressure on the pad against the rotor.

Don't get me wrong, you'll never catch me downing disc brakes, I just think it's a matter of preference (hydraulic over mechanical). Hell, I know guys still rocking pull brakes!

On your comment about a busted line, it'd have to be a sharp, really hard impact. Also, you could get steel braided lines on pretty easy.

Not trying to convince you but let's not try scare folks who bought their first bike and it came with hydraulic brakes. I think BB7 are great brakes, I've heard great things about them, but this reminds me of the debate of carborator vs fuel injection a lot (I'm a car guy lol)
    2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, X9 rear derailleur, X9 shifters, Bontrager race bar, Bontrager race stem, WTB saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    you clueless hydro-nazis just need to STFU

Van - you are a COMPLETE (with all bells and whistles) idiot - please slip on a 50/50 handrail grind w/ 80'-tall trucks.
    We need 0 (zero) little 'yous' running around.
    Personal attacks are totally inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by sbowling View Post
    So far I can't really think of a single reason to use hydraulic brakes over mechanical brakes.
    Hydraulic brake features not offered by your BB7's
    - Self-adjust for wear
    - Pushes pads from both sides - so your rotor doesn't have to bend
    - Better lever feel - none of that cable resistance feel
    Ignorance, intentional or not, does not a fact go away.