I'm feeling dirty, you?

ProMax brakes, what the ?

What's up with these Promax disc caliper.
    They call it a "semi-hydraulic" disc brake, how does it works?

http://www.promax-usa.com/Products.asp?Cat=1

Respect, jonowee

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    you still use a cable to get power to it, I googled it once and found out.

DAMMIT i cant remmeber
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks just like the old AMP/ RockShox semi-hydro disc brake, but with a fixed caliper. The cable enters the caliper from the top and goes through the rubber boot at the bottom, where it gets fixed by the bolt you see down there. When you pull the brake, it activates a teensy-weensy hydraulic cylinder inside the caliper. Gives you too much of the worst of both worlds, if you ask me.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    So with uphillers explanation, it's pretty much a disc brake caliper that has crappy cable strech and F@cK all modulation, along with heavy rotors and calipers.
    Another nonsense product...

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    And I just went back to the ProMax website, and it's a CLOSED SYSTEM.
    With that little brake fluid to heat up compared to traditional full hydraulic closed systems, you'll be locking the wheel on every downhill. Scary

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Actually for a XC disc, the system is fine...

and plenty of companies have offered the same design concept besides Amp. Mountain Cycles/Pro-Stop and Hayes to name a couple of the bigger brands to do it. Being a closed system isn't a problem as long as the pads are a type that conduct heat at a lower rate than the rotor material does (thus the heat from braking goes to the rotor, not the pistons and oil).
    As to locking the wheel on every downhill, depends what fluid they used, mineral oil or DOT fluid. And again, pad compound !!!

As to the Amp version, I like them. They stop well, run pretty much drag free (as they use a floating caliper), and modulation is fine. Also cable stretch is a no more a problem than with V-brakes. Cables stretch when new. They don't keep stretching throught their life. You adjust out the stretch after a few rides and presto. Actually, in the case of these brakes, you don't even have to adjust the cable, as the hydraulic caliper self adjusts anyways.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So has anyone used these Promax semi hydraulics yet? I am curious to see how these work. I have a second mountain bike which would be used primarily for the road. I was looking for a cheap set which isn't complete garbage. Like I said, I will be using it probably 95% road and maybe some light trails. I have my FS for the heavy trail riding. Therefore, I am not looking for extremely powerful stopping downhill. I am just looking for a decent set that works and won't give me tons of problems.

I thank and appreciate any feedback you can give me on these brakes.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmatic
    So has anyone used these Promax semi hydraulics yet? I am curious to see how these work. I have a second mountain bike which would be used primarily for the road. I was looking for a cheap set which isn't complete garbage. Like I said, I will be using it probably 95% road and maybe some light trails. I have my FS for the heavy trail riding. Therefore, I am not looking for extremely powerful stopping downhill. I am just looking for a decent set that works and won't give me tons of problems.

I thank and appreciate any feedback you can give me on these brakes.
    If you're looking for affordable disc brakes, my vote is on Avid's Ball Bearing (CPS) mechanical disc brakes, combined with Speed Dial levers, they'll be awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have the Avid mechanicals on my other bike and they work awesome. When I said that I wanted a set of cheap breaks, I really meant cheap. I am very tempted to just go for the Avids but it doesn't really fit my budget right now, even though they are roughly $70. I am really interested in the $25-30 range. I've looked at the Promax semi-hydraulics, Promax mechanicals, and the Tektro mechanicals. They are all priced in that range. I know that these brakes are only entry level brakes and they aren't the best. Is it worth the $25-30 or will it be a waste and disappointment?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well I just bought one of these pro-max semi-hydraulic brake calipers just because it was new and $9.00 on e-bay. I did my first ride with them this morning and after the break in I was really suprised how well they worked. I am retired but I do get in over 3,000 miles a year on trails and mountainbike racing so I will see how they hold up but so far for $9.00 I can't complain.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    This wins for the oldest resurrection I have seen personally on any forum.

I am also impressed you found these brakes, and that they still work, and that they were so cheap.